chapter twenty. a collision of atoms.

chapter twenty - a collision of atoms.

SHE WALKED UP THE STEPS TO OPHELIA HALL, HER BLAZER AND BAG IN SEPARATE HANDS AS SHE SLUGGISHLY STOOD IN FRONT OF HER DORM DOOR. She twisted the doorknob, noticing how dark it was. She turned to shut the door, and loud cheers and unexpected cheers of 'Happy Birthday' caused her arms to light on fire as she jumped. Her sleeves burned to ash as the fire died down and she noticed her friends. Enid stood in the middle, a paper birthday hat shining from the sparklers on the cake she held in her hands. The lights finally turned on as Marina pulled the little chain that turned them on, a purple hat on her head as she blew the party whistle in her mouth. Ajax smiled at her, walking up to her and giving her a hug.

Enid quickly put the cake on a table they had fit in their dorm, running up and hugging her as well. Everyone quickly piled into the hug, squeezing Vesta until her feet were lifted slightly off the floor. "Thank you, but this hurts!" She peeped from the middle of the bunch. Everyone quickly backed up, laughing. She felt somebody hold the small of her back, Ves looked up smiling at Xavier as she greeted him.

Yoko grabbed her arm, pulling her towards the cake. "You have to tell me what it tastes like! I haven't had cake in so long." She drooled, watching as Enid cut the red velvet cake, placing each slice on a paper plate. 

"When was the last time you had any actual food?" Vesta asked her.

"40 years, or something like that." She answered.

Ves nodded her head, picking her plate up. "We don't have forks or chairs." She commented, laughing as Enid's face fell. "It's alright Enid, we can just use our hands?" Vesta said, uncertain. 

Yoko sat on the floor, patting a spot on the wood next to her. Vesta sat down, carefully holding the slice with two fingers, taking a bite. She shrugged, licking the frosting off of her fingers as she put the slice down. 

"It's very sweet." She said, turning to Yoko.

"Can you even drive?" Ajax asked her, they all sat around on the floor having random conversations

"Of course, I can drive." She said, hugging her arms closer together, the knitted sweater Enid got her was much larger than her, acting as a needed source of warmth. 

"Where's your license?" He asked.

"None of your business." Marina stood, walking over to the door to where Vesta's back sat. She dug through it, finding the little red wallet she carried on her most of the time. The redhead tossed it to Ajax, who caught it swiftly. 

"Oh my god," Vesta said, covering her eyes and leaning back as she heard Ajax laugh hysterically.

"You look like you got the shit beat out of you," Marina said.

"I didn't" She mumbled back. 

"What happened?" Ajax asked.

"I got elbowed in the face" She sighed, uncovering her eyes to see that nearly everyone had been passing her license around. 

"You don't even deserve that license, you drive like a maniac." Marina laughed. 

"I've driven with you once!"

Everyone had slowly piled out of her and Marina's dorm, the only person lingering was Xavier

Everyone had slowly piled out of her and Marina's dorm, the only person lingering was Xavier. He took her hand, leading her outside the dorm. His much larger hand encapsulated Vesta's smaller one, their hands swung slightly as they walked outside the school. She knew the path that they were taking, and in a few minutes time, they stood outside his shed.

"Wait here," He said.

Vesta hummed, listening to Xavier shuffle around within the studio. He walked out of the studio with a canvas in hand, shutting the door behind him. He walked up to her, anxiously running a hand through his hair. 

"I had a lot of time during the break, so I ended up doing this." He flipped the canvas around, a beautifully painted picture of her in her red Rave'N dress, her skirt flowing as she stood alone on what seemed to be the floor, the different bright lights hit her from different angles, painting her skin a multitude of colors. Her hair was painted and pinned up, her makeup was so similar to what she wore. Vesta thought it was extremely impressive that he remembered even the most mundane features about her, down to the mole beside her lip. 

"Thank you." She pulled him into a hug, her arms wrapping around his shoulders. Vesta pulled back, looking up at him. Xavier was already looking down at Vesta, thinking about how much he wanted to kiss her again. Her pupils were dilated, and a blush painted her face as her eyes trailed over his face. Xavier leaned down, capturing her lips in a kiss as he placed one hand on her waist, the other still holding the painting up. Vesta closed her eyes, moving her cold hands to his neck. Her heart was beating out of her chest, her body heating up as he deepened the kiss. 

They pulled away, Vesta had suddenly found the grass below them very interesting. 

"It was that good, huh?" Xavier teased, smiling down at her flushed demeanor. 

She laughed, "I've had better," 

"Sure, Sure."