chapter eighteen. weakness.

chapter eighteen - weakness.

"DO YOU WANT TO TELL ME WHAT THE HELL THAT WAS?" Xavier asked, they were sitting on the stairs to Ophelia Hall

"You already know, you painted it months ago." She said, twirling the bracelet on her wrist as she looked at him. "It was when I came to apologize for what happened at the Rave'N. You had it painted before I even knew what happened that night."

"You look like your gonna be sick," He commented.

"I think-, I think somebody died out there, because of that thing." She whispered. Her skin was noticeably paler, and her eyes were blank. She had been silent the entire walk back, even when Marina asked her why she was walking back into the dorm entirely naked other than Xavier's coat. 

"I heard screaming, loud screaming. Then it just stopped, and I stood there, and then that thing was there with me. So I-, I ran and it stopped following me once I got near the school."

"Hey, It's alright. It's not your fault Ves." He put his arm around her, pulling her into his chest as they sat there in silence.

"What do I do?" She whispered.

"I don't know," He answered back to her.

Vesta was walking around the school, more students had piled in during the day, sitting in the Quad and speaking with their friends as Vesta still waited for Yoko and Enid

Vesta was walking around the school, more students had piled in during the day, sitting in the Quad and speaking with their friends as Vesta still waited for Yoko and Enid. She walked around under the overhangs, eventually roaming into the halls she rarely had a chance to see the previous year. She came to a stop in front of the statue of Edgar Allan Poe, the same one her godfather had shown her the year before. She looked around, making sure nobody was near her, snapping twice and watching as the statue moved to reveal a stone staircase. She walked down the staircase, walking to the center of the room and pulling the little chain that turned the light on. 

She looked at all of the books on the wall looking for anything that could help her. She began pulling books off of the shelf, anything with titles that could help. She flipped through one book titled, 'Haunting Mysteries of the Great Plains.' She flipped through it, pages filled with information about different beasts she had remembered hearing about from Mercury as a child. She stopped flipping when she saw something.

"Wendigo's are creatures born of folklore of that of Plains, Great Lakes, and the Great Plains regions of North America. Often viewed as malevolent and evil spirits that sprout from greed and ill intent, though the actuality of these views has been proven true, they can also be born of intense moments of weakness and fright. " She kept reading, different tales of people and outcasts alike encountering them in the wild and in communities with others littered the chapter. She ran her finger over a diagram outlining the anatomy of a Wendigo. She kept flipping through the pages, the stories getting darker and darker each time. Mentions of cannibalism were frequent, the same as hypnosis. One, in particular, talked about how a Wendigo made a human kill its companion, and eat him. 

Vesta covered her mouth, the gruesome details haunting her mind. She shut the book, turned around dropping to the floor as the smell of chloroform flooded her senses.

She sniffed, a chemical smell waking her up instantly

She sniffed, a chemical smell waking her up instantly. She looked around, several cloaked figures stood around her in a semi-circle, one standing next to the chair she was tied to. She gripped the rope around her hands tighter, her hands sparked, little flames licking the rope as it burned off of her wrists.

"Who dareth breach our inner sanctum?" One of the voices asked, one so clearly, she recognized.

"Bianca?" Vesta stood up, watching as they all took their hoods off, the same with the feathered masks. Bianca huffed, turning the projector that was pointed at her off. 

"How did you get down here? And how did you get out of the ropes?" Rowan asked her.

"Snapped twice, and I burned the ropes." She answered, rubbing her wrists to make sure her bracelet was still there. "What the hell is this, a cult?" She said looking around at them.

"The Nightshades are a social club," Yoko answered awkwardly, trying not to look at her friend who was just tied up. The Nightshades, She thought. Mercury and my parents were a part of the Nightshades. 

"Okay," She dragged, slightly weirded out. She looked over at Xavier, who had been silent the entire time, She thought he looked completely ridiculous. 

"What are we going to do with her?" Divina asked, looking at the rest of the group. 

"We could invite her to pledge," Xavier suggested. "Her Godfather and Her parents were in the club, and her godfather still helps fund the school." Vesta's eyes widened.

"I'm actually good, the only thing I wanted was the book, I don't care about the club." She said.

"You're turning us down?" Yoko asked.

"Yeah, sorry?" Vesta moved back to where her stack of books still sat near one of the walls, picking them up and walking to the staircase. Xavier walked up next to her, talking half of the stack before walking up the staircase with him, leaving the rest of the Nightshades incredibly confused.