[9]

Hiroki embraced his parents with a big smile on his face. Throughout the months away from the city, he wondered when his mother paid him a visit. She called on ahead, but she sometimes appeared at his door. A basket full of fruit or food to settle his stomach. To his surprise, she managed to bring his father along with her. The man clung to his job more than he did at Mitsuhashi. He never left his office during the busier times of the year. His mother always had a way to convince his father to do anything. He showed no grimace or a frown when they locked eyes.

Welcoming them inside, he shut the door and he heard his mother compliment the decor. She lingered on the photos hung on the walls. Pointing at certain ones which caught her interest. His father commented on the embarrassing moments that happened before the photos. He opted to ignore him as he waited for them at the entrance to the living room. They passed him after having a huge laugh at his expense.

Both of them sat across from each other, setting down their belongings onto the floor. Hiroki coughed into his hand to catch their attention. "Since your laugh fest is over, what do you want to drink? Coffee or tea? Just to warn you, I don't have any snacks to offer you. This last week alone has kept me at home."

Soshi answered. "Tea. No sugar. I don't care about the tea you use." He shuffled a plastic bag onto the table. "We brought cinnamon cookies." Hiroki salivated at imagining the flavor. He gulped. "Don't worry about the snacks."

Fuyumi told Hiroki with a smile. "I'll have tea as well but with light sugar."

"I'll put on the water. Be right back." Hiroki hurried inside of the kitchen and prepared the cups of tea. He made himself a cup earlier in the day and stayed warm in the electric kettle.

On his return, the box of cookies laid on the table. Presenting the light crumbly cookies to his eyes. He placed the cups in front of his parents before he sat down with his own cup. They both thanked him before they sipped. When his father didn't complain about his tea, Hiroki relaxed onto his pillow. Reaching out his hand, he grabbed some cookies from the box and started eating.

Fuyumi searched through her bag and revealed the book from its contents. Hiroki's eyes widened at the title, Mansion of Mysteries. His mother bought his book. She either figured out his pseudonym or Akihiko told her during one of their chats.

"Nobuhiro Kanno eh?"

Hiroki flushed in embarrassment. "What better way to debut my stories than to use my grandfather's names? Using my real name wouldn't produce any sales. Someone might connect me to Demon Kamijou from Mitsuhashi. I might cut off my writing career before it even started." He watched his mother read the summary in the back cover. "Don't tell me you told grandpa before you two made the trip over here."

Soshi smirked. "Of course, he wondered where you wandered off to. He wanted a full explanation on why you haven't called him to wish him a happy birthday." Hiroki hitched his breath; his next phone call would turn into a lecture. A long lecture. "Most of the family are buying the book to see your storytelling abilities for themselves. They didn't even know you went into writing."

Hiroki rubbed the bridge of his nose. "Wonderful. My phone will blow up once everyone finishes the story. Who knows how long that would take. Everyone is busy with their own lives." He inquired. "How did you two find out about my book? It just came out this weekend."

Fuyumi answered. "Akihiko told us. He saw it in the stores and bought three of them. He explained how proud he was to see your story in the store." She patted Hiroki's hand, her voice laced with pride. "I'm so happy you managed your dream."

Hiroki worried his lower lip. "I had to get fired from my job to even conceive the thought of trying."

"The premise isn't a topic I expected from you. I pegged you as non-fiction genre writer." Soshi sipped his tea, he smacked his lips. "From my limited knowledge in the publishing world, an extensive repertoire gives you an advantage."