[18]

Nowaki settled into his new human life through Hiroki's guidance. His previous knowledge of future technology helped him. Protecting and accompanying the children of the town gave him a number of insights. The children chattered to the best of their abilities whenever he pointed to an appliance. Their excitement prompted him to enter establishments and watching the people work. A lack of sight gave him the invisibility for this task. Hence, Hiroki's lessons strayed into describing the intricate details of anything he asked.

They settled into their old routine before his battle. His new physical body held him back from his old method of going through walls. Now, he opened doors and walked through them. He forgot about it once and hit the wall. Causing a loud bout of laughter to burst from Hiroki. He caught him when he passed the living room with a basket of laundry in his arms. His pout earned him a tender kiss on his nose before Hiroki patted his chest.

Lady Mitsuki's involvement solidified his recovery. She implemented the strength and energy for him to use for his disposal. To guide him through the tough moments. Paperwork of his existence and a fake high school diploma appeared one morning. Nowaki whispered his thanks to the passing wind, knowing his voice traveled to her ears. Her warm voice trailed into his mind. Expressing her delight at his recovery and relationship with his Hiroki Kamijou.

He informed Hiroki about the deity who saved his life. Hiroki listened. Never interrupting him until he finished. Hiroki's faith in entities stretched farther than he expected. He believed him without question. Then again, Hiroki befriended a spirit as a child. The ignorance of a child fueled his intent in keeping their friendship strong. The attempts of shielding Hiroki from the reality of his job were for his own benefit.

Children ran away from what scared them.

On one of their errand days, Hiroki handed him a list and a wallet of money before shooing him away. Ceasing the opportunity, Nowaki noted down a few containers full of diced watermelon. The new summer heat brought in a fresh assortment of season fruits. Hiroki hinted at cutting open a watermelon on the patio and eating it underneath the shade of the trees. He might haul over a watermelon on another occasion.

Nowaki's new plush tennis shoes cushioned the impact of the roads on his journey into town. His new perspective boosted the beauty of the forest trail. The weather favored tipped into the warmer spectrum, not enough to overheat him. He crossed through the town, holding back the instinct to wave at the children.

He thought his eyes betrayed him when he laid eyes on his old friend. Her endless hair cut into a bob ending underneath her ears. She wore normal clothing from the current times. A simple shirt and a knee length skirt. She waved at him when they connected gazes. Almost skipping to his side, she seemed happier than the last time he saw her.

"Y-You-"

"Let's walk near the tree over there. People might listen in to our conversation." She suggested.

Nowaki nodded his head as he followed her away from eavesdroppers. They stood near the tree she pointed out to him. "Please, explain what happened to you. Last time I saw you, you were injured because of that thing."

She fiddled with the bracelet on her wrist. "Once I recovered, I decided on using my wish to gain human life. I remembered my family owned a farm and I returned when I gained my strength. She scrambled their brains to believe I was the daughter of a distant aunt coming back into town. I have all my papers, and no one can question me."

Nowaki smiled. "I'm happy to hear you have settled into your life. In all honesty, I'm still getting used to my body. You seem a lot stronger than me."

She winked. "It's a good thing I'm so petite. I gained back my strength faster. Although, I think pushing myself into helping out the farm benefited me. Lady Mitsuki's involvement gave me the building blocks instead of struggling to walk."