[15]

Nowaki opened his eyes to a blinding bright light hitting him in the face. To his surprise, he thought his defeat brought him an afterlife of nothingness. He thanked everything under his breath. Groaning out loud, he sat up and rubbed his face. He looked down at his worn and torn clothing clinging onto his cuts. The major wound from the battle still pulsated through his body. Burning through his soul and his sense of self. He placed his hand on the spot and focused on healing it.

He gritted his teeth. After throwing Hiroki into his home, he faced off the spirit on his own, knowing full well his strength depleted from a last encounter. He tried not to linger on Hiroki, all that mattered was he remained safe in his home. Having predicted his fate, he wanted nothing more than to protect him one last time.

A female voice broke through his thoughts. "You woke up just in time."

Nowaki turned his head and saw a black haired woman sitting on a variety of pillows. She wore adornments all over her body and her hair. The gold and jewels stood out against her pale white skin. Glittering against the white background. Her kimono silks and patterns paled in comparison to the ones he wore. The smells of incense reached his nose.

The atmosphere surrounding her developed into a serene forest with a waterfall in the background. These familiar images brought Nowaki some comfort. The white surroundings brought out his panic at the thought of disappearing into nothing.

Her painted red lips formed a smile as she motioned him to sit down beside her. "My name is Mitsuki. No last name. Come, sit down."

Nowaki got up and stumbled over toward her. "I'm Nowaki."

"I know and you've earned yourself a couple of favors." She explained as she sipped her sake. "Think of this as compensation for centuries of protecting that town. You've done more than enough, and you were due in gaining them. I apologize for overlooking you throughout this time. I have no excuse for my carelessness." She handed him a saucer and poured him a serving of sake.

"There is no need to apologize to me." Nowaki moved the saucer around as he stared into the liquid. He saw his wounds healing through the reflection and he sighed in relief. "I'm sure your duties took up your time. Your power relegates my own through heaps and bounds, Mitsuki-sama."

"Considering I dealt with two guardians fighting one another, that took a century to resolve in itself. They ended up sleeping together." Nowaki tried not to drop his sake. "I forgot about the town you occupied. Nothing ever happens there and it's due to your diligence in keeping it safe. At times, this is such a thankless occupation. I went through it." She gave a humorless laugh. "I don't even remember my full name. Sometimes no one wants to remember their suffering."

Nowaki sipped from his own saucer, he didn't want to offend her gracious gesture. "I did everything because I wanted to help. I never thought of having a reward given to me. Something in my spirit has always done things for others without compensation."

"That is correct, Koizumi Nowaki,"

Nowaki's eyes widened as his memories of his old life flashed through his mind. He doubled over, his saucer clattered on the floor, holding his head in his palms as tears cascaded down his cheeks. Biting his lip, he contained his screams from the overbearing pain.

Mitsuki hitched her breath as she watched him sobbing in front of her. No use trying to talk to him, his mind went toward the memories. No outside voices reached through this process.

Xxxxx

Padding down the hall, Nowaki carried his dirty laundry in his arms and tried hiding himself from view. He grew tired of the snide comments and smiling throughout their onslaughts. Best to avoid those people before anyone caught him in a weakened state. His teachers and staff respected him enough to overshadow the ones who wanted him gone. The half siblings who once ran to him for protection, rejected him after their mother's words seeped into their minds.