[14]

On the next occasion Nowaki saw his guardian friend, she appeared with a deep gash on her arm. The dark energy receded from the wound, but it remained open. No sign of blood. An empty black hole to indicate a cut. Slowly healing from the natural powers that guardians possessed. Avoiding gawking at her, he stared in her face before his eyes flickered to the obvious wound. Whenever her attention went onto something around them, he peeked yet again.

The intensity of his stare got her attention. She stared back at him. Observing his bad attempts at avoiding on openly staring at her wound. She made no attempts on hiding it from him. Her visit came with a purpose. Better to alert him before he received a surprise. The young guardian let his guard down whenever he felt safe or trusting. She tossed the concept aside centuries ago.

She informed him with coolness, no panic in her voice. "It returned. From my observation during my battle, it grew stronger. Not that it stayed long for me to gain a full report. For the moment, this is the knowledge I gathered."

Nowaki's hand twitched, his worst fears turned into reality. "What? You don't mean...the same one from decades ago?"

The guardian lifted up her arm, cringing as she moved up her sleeve. "That dark energy passed through my forests, and I managed to chase it off. I'm not sure if it would return back to my town. I added barriers around my town before it thought about returning. Flimsy enough but holding up just fine. I'm using a majority my energy to heal from this large wound."

Nowaki leaned close to her arm, hitching his breath. Thinking about the pain, he asked her with pity. "Does it hurt? It looks painful to me."

"Not much." She smoothed down her sleeve, wincing at the cloth brushing against her skin. "Using none of my powers for the stronger barriers have sped up my recovery. Otherwise, this healing would take longer. I'll have to stake out at our main temple for a clear view of the town. I suggest you start doing the same. It came around this direction."

Nowaki gulped. "I've felt something popping around the area but nothing close to cause such an injury on your person. I've chased off some weak ones. I might have skimmed on my usual areas..."

Startled at his lack of concentration, she inquired. "Have you done any patrols recently?"

"I have! I do them every single night." Nowaki defended himself. "I happen to cut them a little short before I do something else. I extend my power, so I feel any dark power coming around."

"Your loved one requires your constant attention?" Almost phrasing it as a question, she watched him fumble in amusement. "I understand your adoration and desire for him. Although, you have a job to do at all hours of the day. You can never truly have a break with this position."

Nowaki sighed. "I know. I used to balance the people who saw me and went through my duties of this job just fine. Hiroki-san works from home, so the temptation is strong. He started working on his new novel which leaves me little time with him. I just want to have enough time with him to tide me over when we're apart. I have to admit, he distracts me."

She held back a laugh. "Handsome?"

"Yes." Nowaki gushed, momentarily forgetting the tense atmosphere he experienced. "He grew into such a handsome young man. I want to stare at him for long periods of time. He might grow irritated with me if I tried." He rubbed his face and whined. "He constantly calls me an old man. I am older than him, but he can't push that in my face."

"You're younger than me through bounds." She smiled light. "Have some peace in that fact. Besides, your beloved can't hold such a thing over you forever. I'm sure he's teasing to rouse a reaction from you."