| Chapter 29 | Alive

A dark melody filled the halls, my eyes staring through Harlin. I loomed over him, waiting for him to explain why he had hidden his shoulder the day he told me Levi was dead. I waited for him to give me a good reason why he lied about having injuries. Did he think this entire thing was some sort of sick joke? Or... Was there something else going on...?

Harlin went white as a ghost, awkwardly smirking. "What do you mean? I have a pretty bad wound on my shoulder, and other places too."

"No you don't, and I bet you won't even show me," I snapped. "What are you up too? Are you trying to make people think you look cool because you're the only survivor of a horrible situation?" I nodded over to the Scout who appeared embarrassed at my words. She waved Harlin off and speeded down the halls. "Or are you hiding something?"

Harlin's usual friendly smile spiked into a daring look. I didn't like how a shadow cast over his face. "I suggest you mind your own business."

"Mind my own business?" I scoffed. "Need I remind you someone dear to me just died because of you?"

"Me?" Harlin remarked. "Are you blaming me?"

"No," I placed a hand on my hip. "I'm quoting your words. You said you were the only thing of value those bandits would want, and you seemed rather proud of it."

"Why would I be proud of being a target?" He bit back.

"Not a target. You were proud of being worthy of something," I said. He suddenly broke out in a sweat. "Are you afraid of me?" I asked him eerily.

"With all due respect, Y/n, I must remind you who has more power here," He was referring to how he was born into a royal family. "Leave me be."

He gave me a dirty and plotting look, stepping around a corner before vanishing.

I closed Levi's office door.

Across from me, Hange stepped out.

"I heard everything," She said. "I think he's hiding something from us."
-

|Chapter 29|
Alive
-
Hange and I waited until curfew for the Scouts where everyone would be heading for their rooms. We were wait for Harlin to go into his room where we could question him without interference. My gut was screaming, and I had every reason to doubt Harlin's story.

If he was the reason for Levi's death, I'd get to the bottom of it.

"There," Hange whispered through her teeth, pointing over at Harlin. He was opening his door. We crept through the darkness, lurking in the shadows like burglars. I held my breathing quiet. Harlin shut his door, and Hange and I made our move.

"You hold him down, I'll ask the questions," She said. I nodded.

We creaked the door open, the lights were already out. We both slipped in secretly, and I spotted Harlin in the corner go stiff. He had heard us.

"Who-"

I threw him over my shoulder, using the move Levi had taught me and pinning him face down. I dug my knee into his spin and held his hands on his back. "We know you're not telling us something. Speak now or I'll break your arm."

"Break my arm and you go to prison," He threatened. His authority meant nothing to me. I pushed his arm up slightly further to show I wasn't joking. Hange stepped up to him, her boot inches away from Harlins face. She towered over him.

"Tell the truth."

Harlin spit in annoyance. "You two must be insane. I didn't do anything."

Hange now crouched down to be eye level with him. I grabbed him by the hair and made him look her in the eye. He recoiled in disbelief.