28: Dark Moon Delights

Lucien hadn't wanted to leave Castor's cozy bed that morning. He'd held him close that night in his arms as he had cried and told him all about what had happened to Charlotte, how she sold her soul to a devil and how Seraphina invited her into her bakery's basement.

That pain still ebbed in his heart when he stood before her grave and placed the charm bracelet on the ground. Just like she had wanted him to.

Icy wind nipped his face as he tugged his hood over his head, sniffling as he stepped back. Leaves rustled beneath his boots and the delightful scent of fall leaves carried with the wind.

"Lucien?"

He turned toward the sound of his name. "Nora? What are you doing here?"

"Just flying through and saw you down here." Nora shrugged. "I'm about to meet my brothers over in Caverott. We try to have breakfast together every Freyday since our folks go into work early. You're more than welcome to join us."

"Grayson and Darcy aren't joining you?"

Nora shook her head. "No. I introduced Grayson to my brothers once and they tried to hex him into a toad. Our parents filled their heads with so much crap, I doubt they'd ever be able to see how not all vampires are bad."

"I'm sorry. I get the feeling of having to deal with parents like that." Lucien absentmindedly fiddled with the ring around his finger. "I'd love to join you and your brothers for breakfast since Castor and his dad are baking their alleged prize-winning for the bake-off tomorrow downtown."

"Oh, that's exciting." Nora's eyes lit up. "I plan on spending the morning with my brothers because they want me to ride a bunch of rides with them. I'll probably check out the bake-off too just to see who wins. After that, I'll head back to the farm. I don't want to stay long enough for my folks to come lecturing me on why I need to come home to fulfill my duties or whatever."

"Tell me about it," Lucien muttered under his breath.

Nora's gaze dipped down to the ring on his finger, and her brows rose. "Don't tell me..."

"Ah, not what you're thinking." Warmth crept through Lucien's face, but he couldn't deny how much he was enjoying telling people about their engagement. "I sort of proposed to Castor."

"You sort of proposed?"

As they crossed through the wrought iron gates of the cemetery, Lucien told her all about his wicked mother and her plots for finding him a wife to continue the Cromwell bloodline. While many families had gone away with those traditions, certain ones still stood by those archaic beliefs and swore their magic lineage would die out if they didn't procreate soon. The only magic lineage that had ever been at risk of that was derived from fire, but even then, there were still handfuls of families left in their country who were born with it.

Mid-flight to Caverott, Lucien's mind strayed to thoughts of their wedding again and it pained him to imagine what cruel things his folks would do to prevent it. He had thought he was so clever before by spinning his ruse, but the harsh reality was settling in for him. He wanted to live his own life and do what he wanted. Just like Nora had.

Long, wavy locks of glossy black hair fluttered in the wind as Nora swooped over the treetops on her broom. It wasn't much further until Caverott came into view and Nora began her descent, Lucien trailing close behind her. They landed in front of a bridal shop, with skeleton mannequins elegantly dressed in Harvest wedding gowns of blacks, crimsons, and dark purples.

"Nora!" A duet of shouts echoed as two little boys came rushing their way, clutching their child-sized brooms in their hands. Lucien hadn't realized how big the Gravemare brothers' had gotten until seeing them with their own brooms. Children weren't allowed to fly solo until they turned thirteen.