Chapter 1

Fuck it. I can't do this shit anymore...

I roll over in bed and look at the man who's sleeping next to me. My current boyfriend and hands down, winner of South Korea's Top Asshole Award: Adam Smith III.

He's honestly a vision, chestnut brown hair, perfectly chiseled jawline, and a smile that can charm any woman into doing whatever he wants

He's honestly a vision, chestnut brown hair, perfectly chiseled jawline, and a smile that can charm any woman into doing whatever he wants. He's gorgeous even when he isn't trying to be, but for the past few months Okay.... years, I've hated the very sight of him.

"Something wrong, Paris?" He opens his light brown eyes.
"No."
"Are you sure?"
No! "Yeah, I'm sure."
"Are you still upset with me about the grad school thing?"
"Why would I be upset about the grad school thing?" I try my best to sound as nonchalant as possible.

"Aw. Come here, babe..." He sits up and motions for me to lay against his chest, but I don't move. I'm not interested in cuddling and I am beyond upset, "Okay...I know you're mad right now, but I think you'll see where I'm coming from 6 months from now. I have your best interests at heart and you know it. I always do." He sighs. I tune him out and focus on the broken clock that stands across the room. I've heard this speech so many times that I can spit it out word to word : "I know how much you sacrificed for me all those years and I appreciate it, but..." There's always a "but"..., He continue, "And that's all I'm saying." He leans over and kisses me once he finishes his speech, breaking me out of my thoughts, "Why aren't you happy about getting engaged anymore? I haven't seen you smiling in a while."

"I am happy about getting engaged." I lie, wincing at the very thought of being married to him, of accepting the flashy ring that's sitting on top of our dresser.

" I lie, wincing at the very thought of being married to him, of accepting the flashy ring that's sitting on top of our dresser

"Good. You should be even happier now that I'll have bigger paychecks coming in. Soon, we won't have to be like every other struggling couple."
"I can't wait..." I suppress a major eye roll.

On the surface, he and I have always been like "every other struggling couple" : Our apartment is sparse, decorated with only necessary furniture, our savings account holds less than 500 dollars, and we've spent more time apart than we have together over the past 3 years. That's all part of our promise though. At least it was...