19

I take a couple of steadying breaths as the town car comes to a halt. It's just a fundraiser. It's classy, upscale, and sophisticated. Everything will be fine. I doubt Seulgi would start drama in front of Taeyong's parents.

Oh, God. Have they met her? Do they like her? No. Whatever. I don't care.

I'm doing this because Jennie asked me to be her date. Her fake date. Her real date? No. Definitely fake. We're going with fake. Fake is easier, fake is safe, fake doesn't require feelings. No feelings. None. Business partners. We are business partners. Nothing else.

"Miss? I can't idle here," my driver says.

"Sorry! Thank you!" I squeak, getting out of the car.

Here goes nothing.

Swarms of photographers and newscasters linger outside the front doors of the Plaza Hotel trying to get shots of all the attendees supporting Lee Minho's platform. I don't see how he can be 'For the People' when the majority of his constituents exist of the one percent but hey, all is fair in love and politics.

I straighten out my shoulders, a tingle pulsing in my fingertips when I spot Jennie by the front doors.

"Hey."

"Hey," she says, a cheeky grin spreading on her face as I approach. She cocks her head to the side, letting out a laugh. "Wow."

"What's so funny?" I ask, narrowing my eyes at her as I adjust my Celine blazer. "Stop smiling, you're freaking me out."

"Oh, nothing at all," she blinks, suppressing another chuckle. "You've just somehow managed to age twenty years. Seriously, you look like a librarian. All you're missing is a pair of specs; they would complete the entire ensemble perfectly."

"A librarian? Yeah, well, you look-" I scoff, giving her surprisingly stylish suit a once-over. Damn, she cleans up well. "You look like you finally discovered the wonders of a bath."

"I'm sensing there's a compliment somewhere in there," she smirks, opening the door for me as we head inside. "I do look quite dashing, don't I? Perhaps my granddad isn't a total knob."

"If only your IQ was as high as your ego," I mutter, rolling my eyes.

She glances at me, leading the way to the ballroom. "Oh, come on now, I was just joking. You look great, I almost wish I had overdue library books." Her eyes gleam with humor as she lowers her voice. "I've always wanted to get slapped with a fine and use my charms to get out of it."

I blink. "Someone watches a little too much porn."

"Call it revision, love," she whispers, placing her hand on the small of my back as we enter the executive ballroom. "It's educational really. I'm a visual learner, you see."

"Right, educational," I snort, looking around the packed room. "I'm sure the naked figure don't have anything to do with it."

"Perhaps you'd like to quiz me one day?" she tosses me a wink. "I've been told I exceed expectations."

"What a romantic proposition but I think I'll pass," I say, clearing my throat, my cheeks burning up. "Can we not talk about sex right now? I hardly think it's appropriate."

"Lighten up, love," she says, her jaw tightening as she spots an elderly man at the far end of the room. She reaches for my hand, weaving us through the crowds. "Nothing's more natural in life than sex."