2: Observing Fantasy

"He's a mathmatician."

"Now explain it step by step!" William stared at Holmes in wonder.

"Yes please, indulge us." The woman pleaded as Sherlock finished.

You smirked as the two continued their conversing, it made you happy that your two boys had finally met.

Took them long enough.

"First," Sherlock started as he walked towards the Moriarty, gazing at the same staircase he had moments before.

"There's no denying it's a hell of a spiral staircase."

"I can see why you were admiring it." He spoke as he stood at the base of it, looking up.

"Ah. Which element though.." He looked back at William who simply watched as Sherlock began deducing.

"What makes you so sure I'm a mathematician?" He retorted, smiling at the new man who began to interest him more than most.

"Hm? It's simple: Whilst I was observing I noticed how long you stood in place." He spoke, lifting a single finger up, counting the reasons.

"Distance, and the angel you chose." He finished, adding a finger with each new subject.

The woman approached next to Moriarty from where they had stood before, next to Sherlock. Who was now in front of Moriarty.

"I'll continue. Truth can be found through simple deductions based on knowledge and behavior."

Easy enough. You flipped a page.

"Despite clearly being absorbed by thought while walking across the lounge, your concentration was broken once you reached the stairs."

"Dare I say, almost as if the sight caused your mind to come to a momentary halt, and all other matters dissipated. There's no denying the staircase is beautifully adorned, and worth at least admiring."

"But where was your attention? You didn't step closer to appreciate the intricate ornamentation. Instead you rook a step backwards, allowing you to observe the staircase as a whole."

"And what profession matches this behavior? An appreciation for the construction, and not cosmetic beauty."

Moriarty looked at Sherlock with a glare, his hands placed behind his back as he allowed himself to be investigated by Holmes.

"An architect? Or a physicist perhaps? On the contrary, his piercing gaze was not directed at the column."

"Because his interest wasn't in the manor of which the stairs were supported. So the question becomes, what was he looking at that caused him to step backwards?"

You found it funny how he spoke as if the man wasn't right in front of him.

"He wanted the grand scope, to seek confirmation. The curve of the staircase, and whether or not it adhered to a certain principle."

"The divine proportion, by which I mean the golden ratio." He finished, Moriarty stared, bored.

"You are correct," He humored, "What a keen observer you are."

The women stared at him as he continued to speak, "Whilst the logic of your argument was a trifle forced. I am a professor, I teach mathematics at university." Moriarty finished.

The women laughed in guffaw, surprised at the fact that Holmes had now guessed ten correct professions in a row. He was Sherlock Holmes after all, you were surprised the women had never heard of him until this moment.

And now is his turn, you smirked hiding your smile in the book, as Moriarty began to speak.

"Now then, it would be remissive of me to not return the favor."