Chapter 9

Blinking away the sleep in my eyes, I found myself covered by furs and hides of different creatures, each one crafted into a blanket. Underneath my head lay a stuffed pillow made from soft underbelly scales from some reptile, the cool scales wicking away the sweat on my brow as I shifted position underneath the furs.

"Awake?"

Rubbing my eyes lightly, I clutched the blankets around me as I sat up, "Who's there?"

"A friend."

A hand brushed against my cheek, causing me to flinch away from the contact. A transparent hand-like appendage pulled away from my face, the rusty color heavily outlined by a solid red border that faded into thin air, "I've had my share of 'friends'..."

"Humans are the ones that will always betray your trust, Ahti," The hand retracted into the dark surrounding the room, an odd feeling of peace remaining despite the lack of contact, "Gods are less temperamental."

"Gods are fickle as hell, last I checked," I huffed, catching a glint of pale green within the darkness and holding my stare.

"Thoth was right about one thing," The glint of green had split into two, both moving forward until a giant humanoid revealed itself to the light. Their paler skin and faded green eyes revealed a younger man partially wrapped in the same kind of bandages as Thoth, their upper chest and shoulders bearing the weight of a golden neckplate jeweled with azure, ruby, and yellow glass plates. The regal headdress caught my eyes faster than the royal colors dying the fabric wrapped around the man's waist, the solid golden cobra poised to strike as it stared forward with brilliant rubies as its eyes, "You do have quite the mouth."

Words failed me as his gaze turned into satisfaction, one of his hands resting under his jaw while the other propped up the arm. A long serpentine tail kept his human feet from touching the ground underneath us, its scales a murky brown.

"...not another one," My shoulders slumped in defeat as I let out a displeased sigh, "Look, I've really had my fill of Egyptian deities interfering in my life. I just want to separate myself from Nephthys, go back in my own time, and continue my life as an archeologist."

The unfamiliar deity let a chuckle slip past his lips, leaning down a little and sitting upon his own coils, "You don't know who I am, which normally makes me angry. However, I've been warned to give you plenty of patience because you're an unwilling pawn in my great-granddaughter's little game, so I will dismiss your ignorance for the moment."

The term 'great-granddaughter' gave me pause, my newfound expression drawing out another laugh from the deity, "Shall I give you a more conclusive image of who I am?"

"No...please, no more shows of grandeur or visions of power," I shook my head weakly, not wanting to play the guessing game with a deity that was clearly unhappy with my lack of knowledge, "Just tell me one thing: are you the one that saved me from the desert?"

"Under Thoth's word, yes. I found you where you had been left -- or rather dumped unceremoniously. Anpu's touch was on your skin and that made finding you that much easier," He pulled his hand out from under his jaw, resting it on one of his legs, "The touch of a dead realm deity is easy to see in the living realm."

"So...I'm still dead?"

"Poisoned by Pharaoh Neithhikret's blessed dagger, but your heart is very much alive. Anpu made a point in not taking out your organs while you were on his table."

I softly hummed as the plan I had previously worked on crumbled into dust. I had to assume that Set was free from the deal of staying by my side for seven days, which meant that I had lost my way of finding answers. This new deity in front of me continued to watch me carefully, his green eyes shimmering like a cat's when it became fascinated by some prey.