⤜Chapter Thirty-Six: Reasons⤛

You slowly pulled away. Both of you heavily panting. You regretted nothing, especially what you just did.
Beep, beep, beep!
The alarm you set on your watch went off.
That was it. You guys were strangers again, ready to sign those divorce papers.
You didn't say anything to him. You slowly backed away from his embrace and walked pass him.
You held onto your chest. It felt as if a million broken pieces of glass had pierced right in your heart. You dragged your feet because it felt weak. Your eyes flowed a river. It felt like someone had sucked all of the oxygen out of the air.
Why does it hurt so much?
You questioned yourself. As much as you wanted to turn back and look at him, you had to stop yourself.

Meanwhile, Woohyun stood there, bewildered.
That's it.
He thought. Woohyun turned around to look at you walk further away from him. He wanted you so much back in his embrace. He wanted to grab your hand and tell you he loved you over and over again, but he couldn't.

You entered the room and walked right into the bathroom. You slowly slid down with your back pressed against the door. You dropped to the floor and hugged your knees, burying your face and letting the tears flow down.

You sat on the floor for a few minutes. Twenty-seven minutes to be exact. You took off your watch and threw it across the bathroom. You listened carefully and heard Woohyun come in. You quickly got up and turned on the shower. You didn't want him to hear you cry.

Woohyun closed the door behind him and heard the water running. He walked to the living room and plopped down on the couch. Woohyun looked up at the ceiling. Why did everything had to end that way?

After a few minutes, you got out of the bathroom. You dried your hair and secretly looked over to the living room. You saw the back of his head.
I already miss you.
You thought before looking away and walking to the other side of the bed. You draped the wet towel on the drying rack, before getting in bed. You turned facing the view and pulled the blanket over you.
Meanwhile, Woohyun heard you open the bathroom door. He wanted to turn around and sneak a glance of you, but he couldn't. He knew he had to keep his promise. He gave you a few minutes to settle down, before he walked to the bathroom. He sneaked a peek at you. You were already in bed, tucked in nicely.

You heard the bathroom door close. You looked over your shoulder.
It's going to be a long night.
You thought. You turned back to the view and fixed the blanket. Soon, you drifted off to sleep. You wanted to dream of him.

Woohyun walked out of the bathroom, drying his hair. He looked over to you. He thought for a while.
Is she sleeping? Should I go over? But, what if she's still up?
Woohyun threw the towel on the chair and took a deep breath. Once he looked over to you to make sure you were sleeping, he walked over to your side and kneeled in front of you. He smiled seeing your face. He felt like he was the king of the world. He carefully examined ever little feature on your face. Without noticing, he glided his finger over your nose, then over your lips. He stopped and looked at your lips. It reminded him of what happened earlier.
Woohyun felt his heart skip a beat, making him quickly remove his finger that was on your lip.
"Sweet dreams."
He whispered to you.

You quietly left the room and walked down to the same place you shared that kiss with Woohyun. The sun was rose, and you waited for Chunji. You took a deep breath and sat on the bench. Your legs began shaking, and you felt the chills run throughout your body. It was going to be another lie.
"Good morning, -----. You're here early." Chunji greeted you, as he took off his headphones.
You quickly stood up and bowed to Chunji.
"I'm going to cut to the chase. What's your answer?" He asked, catching his breath, as he looked at the water.
"Chunji-shi." You called his name, making him turn his attention to you.
"Go ahead. I'm listening."
"What's the reason behind all of this "you don't want him to remember you"? Did you do something?" Chunji asked.
"I envied Eunji. I wanted to test if Woohyun could really love me like how he loves Eunji." You lied. "I wanted to see if he was willing to let the other woman go. If he did, I'd be the winner."
"So, you're telling me that you never loved him?" Chunji asked again. He wanted to make clear of your reasoning.
"After you're the winner, what happens?"
"...I'd leave him. When I leave him, seeing him broken would bring me joy. I've been planning to leave him since the first day." You lied. You wanted everything to end.
"If Woohyun doesn't remember you, how can he be broken?" Chunji questioned.
"Everything he did yesterday clearly shows me that he still loves me, whether he remembers me or not. He was willing to leave Eunji and stay with me. Isn't that a win?"
"I'm surprised."
"Never judge a book by its cover. You've gotten your answer, Chunji-shi. If you may excuse me, my flight leaves in a few hours." You said before walking away.
"Wait." Chunji said, making you stop.
"I hope you take this secret to your grave, and I hope that you and Woohyun don't ever cross path again." Chunji said.
You stopped yourself from tearing up.
"I will make sure that happens. If you'd like to join us, we'll be signing our divorce papers soon. Maybe you can comfort him." You said, before continuing your walk. Once you were far away from Chunji, you felt a tear run down your cheeks. You wiped it away and thought about the decisions you made. The truth to be told, you hated nothing more than seeing Woohyun hurt.