Part 4

Word count (2601)

Y/n pov:

Rowan's death last night kept me from sleeping so I sat at my piano and scribbled notes down on some sheet music. At about six in the morning, I heard a knock on my door.

Ella had gotten up and followed me, when I opened it I saw Wednesday. "You need to come with me." I just stared at her blankly, not having the energy to react.

"Okay, let me just go and get dressed first. You can come in if you'd like."

I was still wearing what I wore the night before and I think Wednesday noticed, she looked down at my clothes and slightly rose a brow as she went to go sit on my piano bench. Ella immediately hopped on her lap and started purring.

"Couldn't sleep?" She asked.

I shook my head and pulled a dark green sweater over my head. "No, how are you?"

"I honestly don't know what to think," she replied flatly.

I finished lacing up my boots and left the closet. "I'm ready, where are we going?"

"Were going to talk to the Sheriff."

I just nodded and followed her out the door.

~

"How could you miss a dead body?" Me, Weems, Wednesday and the Sheriff were all walking back into the school.

"Cause it wasn't there. No footprints, no blood, no sign of a struggle. Nothing. Nada. My search party looked all night."

"Well your search party must have left their seeing eye dogs at home. We saw that monster kill Rowan right in front of us."

"Did you get a good look at this monster thing?"

"It didn't stick around for a chat," I fired back.

"Maybe it was one of your classmates."

"Sheriff, I find that question offensive." Weems said, finally entering the conversation.

"Well I don't care cause I got three other dead bodies in the morgue. Hikers just ripped apart in the woods."

"The mayor said those were bear attacks."

"Well the mayor and I disagree on that."

"So you automatically assume a Nevermore student is the murderer. Even though there's no evidence a crime was even committed." Weems glared at the Sheriff.

Me and Wednesday stood there awkwardly as they continued to talk for a bit before making our way into her office.

"My guess is Rowan ran away. State troopers have been put out an alert, and I've contacted his family but they haven't heard from him either."

"Dead people are notoriously bad at returning calls," Wednesday said.

"What were you both doing out in the woods with Rowan anyway?"

"We heard a noise and went to investigate," I replied.

"That's when we stumbled upon the attack," Wednesday said after.

"Then what happened?"

"Then we ran into Bianca Barclay, and told her to go for help. Next thing I remember is waking in my dorm."

"And just to be clear, this monster wasn't a bear or some other wild animal?"

"I've hibernated with grizzlies, I know the difference."