Part 13

Word count (2069)

I hate parents weekend. Last year, my mother and father barely spoke to me. Unless it was about my academics. Why bother showing up if all you're going to do is nag me about how I'm doing in school. I would honestly rather them not show.

All of us had gathered in the quad and principal Weems began to speak. I barely paid any attention until Eugene was mentioned.

"On the mend? Try in a coma." Wednesday scoffed, her arms crossed in front of her.

I frowned and looked over to her, Enid spoke up. "Have you been to see him?" My eyes shifted to her and she continued,
"You're his friend."

"I'm the reason he's in the hospital."

"That is not your fault, okay? The monster hasn't attacked anyone in the past week. Maybe you finally scared it off."

"Or maybe it went into hiding to avoid this weekend." Wednesday briefly made eye contact with me before looking past me.

A woman's voice appeared behind me and I turned around. She looked a lot like Wednesday but older, and her long hair sprawled behind her back. It reminded me of the night Wednesday had her hair down. I smiled slightly.

"Look at this. Some things never change."

Wednesday shifted uncomfortably, "I knew I should have worn my plague mask."

Enid nodded her head, "would you look at my family, I give my mom 30 seconds before her judgy claws come out." Her parents and siblings were howling and crawling on a picnic table.

"Don't even get me started on my parents," I grumbled. I watched as they walked through the entrance. Both Enid and Wednesday followed my gaze and Enid grimaced slightly. "You definitely win y/n."

My parents owned an apothecary in our town, (maybe the only thing I liked about them). They always wore traditional brown cloaks and their forest green suits with black shirts. Very business like, and very frigid. All they want is for me to one day take over the business one day and it really annoys me how that's all they care about.

Wednesday eyed them intently as they made their way towards me. "Let's get this over with," Enid sighed.

Enid and Wednesday headed off while I stayed put.

"Y/n darling, there you are." My mother's velvety voice rang in my ears.

I put on a fake smile, "hello mother, father." I dipped my head at them before my mother hugged me.

"How have your classes been? You are doing well in all of them, yes?" My father spoke, not even saying hello.

"I've been doing well, my marks are all good, I can show you later."

"Good. Your principal spoke to us earlier and asked if she could speak to us about some things that have been happening, you haven't been getting into any trouble have you?" My mother pressed, I fidgeted with a ring. Oh no...

"Let's go and see what she has to say," my father chimed in.

As we walked inside, Wednesday was there, as well as her parents. They had been speaking before we got here.

"Y/n, please come in, your parents can sit down here," Weems pointed to chairs near Wednesdays parents.

I chewed on the inside of my lip and made eye contact with wedesday as I walked further inside.

"Alright, let's get down to the matter at hand shall we?" She gestured for the parents to sit down and I stood next to Wednesday.

"Unfortunately, Wednesdays assimilation has been rocky at best."