Chapter 1 - News

Kiana's POV:

I was writing an English essay "Why does mom always do essays, just a simple assignment would be good enough for her class." I thought while writing the all about me essay she assigned. My mother as my English teacher is dumb. I mean, she teaches English, sure. But I'm honestly extremely good at English so I should be in a more difficult English class.

A buzz from my phone went off, though I ignored it and thought it was my friend. It went off again, so I rechecked it. It was a text from my mom while I was doing her essay. Confusingly enough thought I wasn't seeing it right, and squinted to see if I was reading it right. Sure enough, I was and quickly replied.

Mom

Can you come to the kitchen? Your father & I need to talk to you...

You

yep

I got up from my bed and the wood floor felt chilly on my bare feet. I walked out the door to my room and went down the stairs of the house, walking into the vast kitchen I have no idea how my dad could afford. My parents were having a quiet conversation that not even I could hear. I strutted up to them and suddenly spoke.

"Why'd you want to talk to me?" I sat down on a bar stool and rested my head on my left palm, the open window breezed my shirt in the late may air. My parents looked at each other as if telepathically saying to each other "should we really tell her this?". I give them a small smirk before my mother started to talk.

"So you know how I came to Glass Shard all those years ago? Well, recently we've been looking into moving back to Gravity Falls, my hometown. We think we found a house that suits all 3 of us, and we want to talk about it with you." I give my parents a peculiar look, thinking over what they just said.

"Ki, I have a picture of the house and floor plans if you want to look at them." My dad gave a sad smile, knowing I'd want to do that. I nodded slowly at him and looked down a bit, thinking of the new beginning I'd have. I started to smile a bit of an evil smile. The pranks I could pull on the new people I'd have in my life.

"I know what you're thinking, don't go pranking the new people in your life. You want friends don't you-" Mom got cut off by her phone she looked at it quickly before raising her eyebrows a bit. Dad patted her back as a sign of reassurance, and I started to think about it. It probably won't be that bad. Mom had calmed down by now.

"We're leaving August 6th, be ready Kiana. You're gonna meet my side of the family." Mom spoke, hurrying up the stairs into the master bedroom before I had a chance to reply. My dad looked at me and shrugged like he didn't know why she said it like that.

"You okay? Do you need to talk about it?" Dad questioned me about my feelings, it was odd though. Why would we ever move away? The question stuck with me, and I have no idea why. Even though of that, I shook my head and got up out of the chair, bored with the atmosphere of the room.

I went back up the stairs and back into my room again. I sat on my bed and put the laptop on my lap. I opened up a new tab and quickly searched 'Gravity Falls Oregon' in the search bar, Nothing came up except for a criminal record of this old guy named Stanford Pines. Odd I thought again and clicked the link to the Oregon Government website.

A mugshot of the dude loaded up. If you have seen this man, please call your local authorities. So he's a wanted criminal that lives in Gravity Falls, just great. I read the short paragraph about this 'Stanford Pines'

Stanford pines has lived in Gravity Falls, Oregon for 35+ years and has committed a total of 295 recorded crimes. Once a paranormal scientist, he turned his crazy findings into a garage of a tourist trap called "The Mystery Shack".

So, He is a criminal, just great. Nothing better than living near one I guess. I guess I'll watch my back, thanks oregon.gov!

~

518 words