Chapter 5 - Cousin Bonding

~

~

"Okay, Gus can put things on my bookshelf when my dad & Uncle Dan get it, Wendy and I will put together my bed. Marcus, Kevin, put together my desk when my dad brings the box in." Suddenly Uncle Dan came in holding my bookshelf by himself, so he is really strong. I motioned him to put it on the far wall, kinda where Gus was standing.

"Um, Kiana dear, can you help me with this box?" I looked towards the doorway where I saw my dad struggling to carry a box, my desk box. See? He isn't that muscular. I give him a small smirk and walk over to help him.

"Okay, let's put it by Marcus and Kevin." We went over to Marcus and Kevin and set the box down by the two boy's feet. Uncle Dan had left the room already, so we got to work. I took two big boxes labeled "Ki's bookshelf" And set them by Gus. He immediately ripped the box open and started to organize the bookshelf. I saw Kevin and Marcus already having small talk about the room.

"Welp, let's get to work, shall we?" I looked over to Wendy and smiled at her, I walked over to her and took the headboard and a sidebar, connecting them with a couple of screws. We started conversing.

"Where did you originally move from?"

"Little town in New Jersey, it's called Glass Shard,"

"That must've been a pretty long drive."

"It was, glad to be here"

"That's nice, but can I ask you something?"

"....Go on"

"Sorry if this is private, but why do you use an eyepatch?"

I knew it. I knew she'd ask the question. I just kept building the bed, not daring to speak. I needed space to think this out, and quickly. I got up from the floor and took a look at how it was going along for the other 3. Gus looked like he was almost done with one box, and Marcus and Kevin were having a bit of trouble with the desk.

"I... it's personal, sorry, I'm going to the bathroom." I quickly got up off the ground and speed-walked to the bathroom in my room. I looked in the mirror and took the eyepatch off, but not before locking it. I stared at myself, intensely though. Tears came quickly.

Why, why, why, why, WHY?! WHY DO I HAVE THIS?! I looked back at the door as if I knew I was being watched. I took a deep breath and put on the eyepatch again, and flushed the toilet so they thought I used the bathroom. I turned on the sink and let it run for a minute, I turned it off and then walked out.

By the time I was out, Wendy had finished the bed frame. We moved it over carefully to the wall and laid the mattress down. We made the bed and threw on a couple of pillows. The boys were already done and gone, so we moved the desk against the wall by the bookcase. You would've never guessed that Gus would be organized, but he was VERY organized. We wished her family goodbye and they were on their way.

Later I put up more decorations and took a look at it, the banner on the ceiling was straight and flat, as it's supposed to be, not to mention I had looked for inspiration on my laptop. The fake vines and wall decorations on my bed looked good, and my bookcase, desk, and dresser were all organized. It looked like my kind of place.

By nightfall, everything was unpacked for me, while plants real and fake were everywhere, it looked extremely cool. I looked over my work from the past hours. Wow, I have an exceptionally good style! I decided on going to bed. I changed from yoga pants & a T-shirt to sweatpants and an oversized T-shirt.

I turned off my light and hopped into bed, thinking about tomorrow. I think tomorrow I'll go out and see what there is to do. Then my mind drifted to my unique feature... maybe I'll change up the eyepatch from a normal one to a flowery one! That'll be nice! But before I lost consciousness I thought one thing.

Who will I meet?