008

January 31st, 2022

the banquet was today, travis doesn't know that kenzie is going, nobody does. for a while, she heavily considered not going, but decided against it.

she made it her late new year's resolution to not let travis get in the way of her doing what she wanted. that is why she took the job offer to be a photographer for the cincinnati bengals as of the 2022-2023 season.

she picked out a very nice dress, it was white. it was satin and fell perfectly on her shoulders. there was a slit on the left leg that went up to her mid thigh. she paired it with a nice sparkly silver purse and matching jewelry with silver strap heels.

 she paired it with a nice sparkly silver purse and matching jewelry with silver strap heels

liked by joeyb_9, patrickmahomes, brittanymatthews, and 389,928 more

kenzie.kelce: "didn't they tell us don't rush into things? but didn't you flash your green eyes at me? didn't you calm my fears with your cheshire cat smile?"

brittanymatthews: this seems aimed towards a certain someone....
^ patrickmahomes: agreed

bengalsfan2992: JENZIE IS HAPPENING GUYS
^ jamarchase: i'm so out of the loop

itslaylaconners: mmmmm suspicious minds...
^ kenzie.kelce: elvis reference???

therealizzysmith: i smell a couple brewing...
^ killatrav: what??
^ therealizzysmith: nothing hunny

how risky was it for kenzie to post that? really risky. but hey, she was following her resolution and she didn't even specify a name. it was only an eye color.

kenzie had noticed that joe had liked the post but hasn't commented on it, maybe he didn't know what to say.

the banquet was at 9, but joe was picking her up at 8 so they could get there on time. kenzie took it upon herself to eat dinner so that she wasn't starving at the banquet.

it was cold in kansas city, so kenzie waited until joe pulled up to go outside, he met her halfway down the walkway.

joe looked up once she had closed her door and stopped in his tracks. "you, look amazing, beautiful." joe said opening the door for kenzie. joe was wearing a suit, a black one with a white button up underneath.

joe got in the car, it was an orange ferrari, it was a very nice car, she hasn't seen this one yet, she wondered how many cars he had.

"so," joe said driving the car. the ballroom where the banquet was happening wasn't too far from kenzie's house, about 20 minutes. "we don't have to talk about it if you don't want to, but you said your parents got divorced, and uh." joe said hesitantly.

"how did they get a divorce?" joe asked. "but, i get if you don't want to talk about that."

"it's fine," kenzie said. "he stuck around for a while, a lot longer than he should've. they fell out of love years before they got a divorce. my dad cheated on my mom, and she found out and confronted him, but she didn't leave him. i never understood why." kenzie said. she genuinely didn't know why. her face was puzzled, as if she was thinking about this reason.

joe glanced at her as much as he could while he was driving, she looked sad, or angry. it wasn't an emotion that was simple and plain. it was more complex than just one.

"he broke my mom's heart, and when he finally left, he left us with all this money for some reason. he left, to florida i think, but i haven't gone looking for him, i don't think i want to anyways." kenzie said. "since he left her with all this money, everything got paid for and my mom made she my brothers and i had way more that she ever had growing up, she didn't come from much."

as kenzie was telling joe this story, he felt as if he was going to throw up. how could someone treat their family this way? their wife and children?

joe could see it on kenzie's face, this situation was a tough one for her, rough for her to deal with whether she said it or not.

they sat in a comfortable silence for a while, which kenzie and joe could both agree was overrated.

"okay, we are here." joe said breaking the silence. kenzie has never broken any sort of silence whether comfortable or not. why won't you ever be the first one to break?

they're were other nice and expensive cars parked outside of the ballroom, she noticed travis' pulling up.... izzy? her best friend?

she also saw patrick pull up with brittany, they looked nice and always coordinate outfits well at events like these.

"i assume you know some of the people on the chiefs but i can introduce you to some of the guys on the bengals if you want." joe said as they walked into the banquet together.

once they walked in, she scanned the room for as many familiar faces she could find, she found izzy, standing next to travis and they were walking over to her and joe.

"you look amazing." izzy said once she reached the pair, giving kenzie a hug.

"thank you, you look amazing too, izzy." jenzie said returning the hug. he looked at izzy, who was looking at her with the same look. they were both looking between travis and joe, travis practically death staring the quarterback.

"joe." travis said greeting him. would you even call that a greeting?

"nice to see you, travis." joe said with a smile. it made kenzie feel good that joe was being mature about the whole thing when her older brother wasn't.

travis just nodded and walked away with isabelle. why was he acting so weird about the whole thing? he was dating kenzie's best friend and she didn't have a problem with it. travis was too over protective.

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

hi!! that's chapter eight, sorry it is so short. when i'm writing this, the ravens have just lost to the browns making the bengals lead the afc north!!

the pictures of them arriving in tampa today came out, slaying as always. anyway, i hope you enjoyed this chapter!

another reminder to not be a silent reader!!