CHAPTER EIGHT

Alex raises a brow, and Sophia steps forward with hope in her eyes.

Wait... how does she know who did this to us?

"You'd better not be playing games with me, Sophia." Alex said to Sophia with a brow crumpled in his temple with a narrow eyes.

"No! I swear... Look, let's go somewhere more... private." Sophia said to Alex. She narrows her eyes at me.

What's she looking at me like that for?

"Private?" Alex asked in a serious tone.

"Just the two of us." Sophia said to Alex.

I wait for Alex to shoot her down.

"Fine." Alex shortly said to said.

Huh?!

"But this had better be good." Alex said to Sophia in a serious tone.

"Oh, I can assure you it is..." Sophia said to Alex.

She bites her lip, and I feel my anger rising. Alex barely waves goodbye before she drags him outside.

"Ugh! How dare she?!" I blurred out in anger.

I was almost killed! I deserve to know the truth. Not to mention that smug, arrogant look on Sophia's face when she left with Alex.

I take a deep breath and massage my temple, but the longer I stand, the more impatient I become.

I don't do this... I can't just stand here while Sophia's... doing whatever it is she's doing. I have to follow them! I followed them and listen in secret.

I sneak to the front door and peer out to find Sophia stroking Alex's arm.

"I've been so worried about you, Alex... I still am." I hear Sophia said to Alex.

"You don't have to worry, Sophia. I'm fine." I hear Alex said to Sophia.

"But are you? You're not acting like yourself." Sophia said.

Ugh...

"Look, I know we haven't been together for a while, but I--" Sophia was cut off as Alex speaks.

"You don't know me." Alex said in a serious tone.

"Oh, but I do... And the Alex I know is still there. You might fool her, but you can't fool me, baby." Sophia said to Alex.

Sophia lifts a hand to stroke Alex's jaw, sending a rush of white-hot anger punching through me.

"Because... deep down, I'm still in love with you. Don't you see?" Sophia said to Alex.

Damn, she has some nerve!

"Enough." Alex said as he grips Sophia's wrists, pulling her arms down and away from his face.

"Tell me what you know, or I'm out of here." Alex said to Sophia.

Sophia looks around before chewing her thumb.

What is going on...?

"I wasn't lying when I said I knew who did this to you... It was Mike." Sophia said to Alex.

Mike?!

"What?!" Alex said in shock and in disbelief tone.

"He planned it all, Alex. The attack at the store. The shooting the other night... Everything." Sophia said to Alex.

"Th-That doesn't make sense. He's my brother. Why would he--?"

Sophia speaks as she cut off Alex. "Because he wants to get rid of you... He wants to lead the family... but he knows his father plans for you to run things. So he wants you gone."