CHAPTER ELEVEN

Fear hammers through my chest, and Alex grips my hand tightly before slowly moving to the edge of the bed.

Someone is trying to break into the house?!

"Alex, I'm scared." 

"Don't be. Everything will be fine." Alex said to me in a serious tone.

"Who is it?" I asked Alex.

Alex reaches the curtains and carefully peeks through, scanning the exterior of the property like a hawk.

"Mike is here? Now?! Has he came to kill us?" I asked in shock.

"I think he came here to kill me." Alex said as he sounded so sincere.

Alex tugs on his shoes and takes a weapon from his nightstand, and he loads it while shaking his head.

"I knew it was coming... but I didn't expect it quite this soon." Alex said in a stern tone.

"Can't you just alert your security?" i asked at Alex.

"It's not that simple. Mike will be armed with his best men, and they'll get in here very quickly. We need to--" 

Alex sentence cut off as I suddenly hear gunshots, and I gasp while Alex frowns as agonizing screams ring through the courtyard.

"They're inside! What do we do?" I asked to Alex in a panic.

"Amber, listen to me. I need you to run..." Alex said to me as he looks at me with both dark eyes.

"But--" Alex cut me off as he continue to speak.

"I'll distract Mike, and you head out the back. Just get to the airport, and Tyler will meet you there with your belongings and passport." Alex said to me.

He throws me a jacket and shows, and I put them on hesitantly as he listens closely for any sign of entry.

"Amber, this is our only shot." 

"Alex... Don't make me leave you." I said to him in a sad tone.

"You won't, sweetheart. I'll meet you right after I'm finished with Mike." Alex said to me.

"But what if you don't? What if something happens, or...  What if you change your mind about me... about us?" I asked to him in a teary eye.

The words leap out from my chest, and it pains me to picture a world without the man before me.

"Amber... Do you trust me, baby?"

"I do. There's no one I trust more than you." I said to Alex.

"Well, then--" Before Alex finish his sentence a large bang shakes the house, and I realize the living room door has been kicked open.

"Oh my god! They're here!" I said in a scared and panic tone.

What do we do?!My heart feels like it's going to burst!

 "Shh! Keep your voice down. We need to get to the garage. Now!"  Alex said to me in a whisper.

I grab my phone as Alex unlocks the window and climbs through, tugging me behind.

I climb along the slippery roof titles before dropping down unseen.

As I look back, I spot Mike by the window, cursing as he peers down at us. Then, he points his gun at Alex.

"You can't run, baby brother!" I heard Mike screamed in a mad tone referring to Alex.

"Fuck! He's going to shoot!" I said in shock.

I push Alex as hard as I can, and he topples to the ground, pulling me with him as the bullets scatter.

Shaken and distraught, I scramble into the garage with Alex covering me the entire way with return fire.