CHAPTER ONE

The theater doors close, and with another successful surgery under my belt, I heard to the reception desk.

Ugh... These back-to-back surgeries are killing me. I gotta speak to the Chief of Surgery. There must be another trauma surgeon as good as me that--

"Dr. Amber!" 

I slump over the counter as my friend and co-worker, Lizzy, approaches me with a cup of coffee.

"Yeah. No offense, hon, but you look like crap. When was the last time you go some shut-eye?" Lizzy asked to me.

"Around fifty thousand consults ago... Ugh, it's just been crazy! You know that John Doe from earlier? That's the sixth GSW I have has to deal with this week!" I said to Lizzy.

"Yeah..." She shortly said.

Lizzy's eyes widen and dart around frantically before looking down at a patient file.

"What?" I asked Lizzy.

"Nothing!" She said.

"What are you not telling me?" I asked her in a serious tone.

"Well, it's just... You ever heard of the Bonannos?" She asked.

That sounds familiar... Where have I heard that name before?

"They're basically the Mafia family who runs the entire city." Lizzy said.

"I'm sorry, did you just say "Mafia family? Whoa! That's cool." I said to her.

"I know, right! Like, we totally shouldn't be talking about this, but... I heard the Bonannos want to expand their turf. Hence the, uhm, increase in gunshot wounds." Lizzy said.

"Liz, why am I getting the feeling you like all the blood and gore?" I asked to Lizzy.

"You're seriously going to tell me that working in the busiest trauma unit in the city doesn't get your blood going?" She asked to me.

I'd be lying if I said it doesn't... But does that make me a bad doctor?

"So.... Why now? If this family's so infamous, why are they trying to expand it now and not before?" I asked.

"Well... between you and I, I think it's because they're making preparations for the new mob leader." Lizzy said.

"Okay... who?" I asked to Lizzy.

"My guess is... Alex Bonanno. And on the street is that he is as hot as he is deadly." Lizzy said.

"Hot?! He is a criminal, Lizzy." I said in shock.

"Oh, come on, think about it... Tangling limbs with a sexy, brooding don. It's like the ultimate fantasy." Lizzy said with a smile.

"Well... I would love to meet him one day. Just to confirm that he really exists, of course." I said with a smile.

"Uh-huh... I would love to meet him to see if he is as bad as his reputation makes him out to be or "good"-- if you know what I mean." Lizzy said.

"Geez, you're despicable." I said to her.

I shake my head and laugh as Lizzy wiggles her eyebrows. 

"Ha! Well, I'm willing to cross lines if it meant really, really good sex. Ya know, that headboard-banging, heart-stuttering, he-only-had-eyes-for-you kind?" Lizzy said.

God, it's been so long since I got laid... And even then, I have never had the kind of sex she just described.

I take a gulp of my coffee, frowning as a mixture of fear and curiosity swirls in my belly.