CHAPTER FIVE

"What did you just say?!" I asked to Sophia.

"You heard me."

"You don't scare me." I said to her.

"Oh? I think I do." Sophia said proudly. 

"Whatever." 

"Don't believe me? Ask Alex. He's seen what I'm capable of. You'd better find a way to leave him, or I'll gut you. Or bury you somewhere, where no one will hear you scream." Sophia said to me.

I ball my fists, anger settling onto my gut like a fiery volcano awaiting its eruption.

"You--" I was about to say something to Sophia as someone spoke.

"Hey!" 

I turn to see Alex placing an arm about my waist, pulling me into his side.

"You two getting along?" Alex asked to the both of us.

"Oh, you know, just girl talk. To be honest, Amber was just telling me how much she's dreading the wedding and that she's never wanted to get married." Sophia said to Alex.

That... bitch!

"Uhhh... Amber, what's she talking about?" Alex asked to me.

"I was just telling her not to be embarrassed about the fact she doesn't fit in... She thinks she's not good for you." Sophia said.

"What?" Alex said as he reacted in shock.

My eyes go wide as I glance between the two off them.

That jealous cow! It's time to play her at her own game. If she can't stand the thought of Alex and me, just wait until she sees it with her own eyes!

"Alex... Come here." I said to him.

Alex's face is confused, but he leans in, allowing me to place my lips against his.

My lips is lingering, passionate, and full of heat. The moment I pull away, Alex stares at me in wonder.

Wow... That felt like a dream. I totally forgot Sophia was even standing there for a moment.

"Ooookay. Uhm... so are you going to explain what Sophia's talking about or keep me in suspense?" Alex said.

"Yeah, hon... Aren't you going to explain yourself?!" Sophia asked to me with a crumpled brows of anger.

"I didn't say that. I think Sophia misunderstood me. She should definitely pay more attention when people speak." I said.

"What?! I--" Sophia said as she grinds her teeth in anger, and Alex guffaws as I fold my arms.

"You picked the wrong enemy, Amber!" Sophia said to me.

"No, you did! Just ask Alex here... He's seen what I can do." I said to Sophia. Sophia storms away, knocking into a waiter and sending him tumbling down as Alex raises an eyebrow at me.

"What?" I asked to him.

Pulling me close, he cups the back of my head with his hand before speaking in a hushed tone.

"I just don't know what's more dangerous, me or that smart mouth of yours." Alex said to me.

"That's seriously your thought on the situation?" I asked him in shock.

"Yeah. I think I might have met my match..." Alex said to me.

"Uh-huh... Whatever Capone."

He gives me a wide grin and hands me a glass of champagne.

"I, uhm... need to visit the ladies' room. I'll be back." I said to Alex.

"Alright, just don't take too long, or I'll come searching for you." Alex said to me.