CHAPTER VI - ATTACHMENT IS FORBIDDEN

Nathan couldn't get to sleep that night. Something about earlier on had bothered him more than most things do. It may not have been much, but he certainly felt something when Ahsoka looked at him the way she did.

Nathan was much smarter than the average padawan. After all, his master was Shaak Ti, one of the most calculated Jedi of all. So why was it he couldn't come to a decision as to what to do here?

Attachments are forbidden. That was the rule, a key rule of the Jedi Order, for good reason. Attachments lead to jealousy, and greed. Nathan knew this. But had he already developed too strong of a connection with Ahsoka to turn back now? They were best friends, and she needed him as much as he needed her. But how would she react? He was worried about the days ahead of him now, as he was going to have to try and conceal this very random development of feelings. But he was going to give it his all. Nathan Tynan always did.

* * * EARLIER ON

Anakin was in his quarters at the Temple, about to settle into bed, a little earlier than usual tonight. He was very tired, after returning from the Citadel mission, and he was staying there instead of travelling back to Padme's place. However, something was disturbing him.

Tarkin's high praise was playing on his mind. Because he knew the Council and the Senate were not exactly co-operating, and he didn't want to take any sides. But it did make things more complicated.

Anakin suddenly perked up from his desk. Ahsoka? He felt a slight disturbance, one unusual at this hour. Shouldn't she be in her room by now?

He got up, loosely throwing his robes back on and opening his door slowly, so as to not be too loud. His dark robes blended in with the shadowy halls, and he considering igniting his lightsaber, for light. He soon realised that was cause too much of a scene, so he thought against it.

As he approached Ahsoka's sleeping quarters, he heard the laughter of both her and a boy. As one of the only Jedi to have a true understanding of emotions and feelings, even uncontrolled, Anakin instantly grew suspicious. He concealed himself and waited for the voices to die down, before straightening up and acting natural.

Ahsoka said goodbye to Nathan, waving gently at the boy before turning back towards her room. But before she could open the door, she sensed her master's presence.

"Anakin?" she whispered into the darkness. Anakin emerged, with his arms folded and with a frown upon his face.
"What are you doing up so late?" Anakin said.
"I just...you're not going to tell anyone are you?" Ahsoka asked, putting her trust into her master once again.
"That depends." Anakin said bluntly, eyeing her curiously. "What have you been doing?"
"Well-"
"It wasn't involving that boy, was it?" He pressed.
"No, Anakin. Well, actually yes, but it isn't what you think." Ahsoka pleaded with her master.
"Yeah? What is it, then?"
"We were just training, sparring. Nothing crazy, but because I only just got back from the Citadel-"
"Hmm, yeah, the mission you weren't even meant to go on." Anakin interrupted.
"Right. Yeah, well anyways, he asked if I wanted to train, because it had been a while, so we decided to go later in the day, which is why I just returned." Ahsoka explained.
Anakin sighed and knelt down, so that he was near his padawan's height. He placed a hand on the Togruta's shoulder.
"Look, Snips, I understand you want to keep training. It's okay, I was like that as a padawan too. But you need to rest. You can't work yourself into the ground."
"It was just a light session, Master." She argued, folding her arms.
"I know, but even so. It's important you also rest. I love that you enjoy your training. But I need you to be ready for whenever we need you. You're more important to this Republic than you even know yourself." Anakin responded, smiling with his eyes.
"Thank you, Master."
"Night, Snips. Rest up. We leave for Felucia soon."
"You too, Skyguy."