26. happy endings

Love had fear shrouding her heart as she clutched her knees to her chest, her lips pressed in between them

Love had fear shrouding her heart as she clutched her knees to her chest, her lips pressed in between them. Her hands were curled up around her legs as she took in the tension that surrounded the hall of her home.

Her Dad was going over the phone while raking a hand through his hair as he paced around the hall. Her mother was sobbing into her handkerchief, her eyes full of tears. On the loveseat nearby sat Ava and Clary, both with their heads down, their tears dried up on their cheeks.

Love pulled at her ring finger where there was no ring to wear anymore. She had ripped it off from her body as soon as her father woke her up with the breaking news.

Benedict Courtland was arrested. He had been a wanted criminal the cops had been in search of for a long time. He had been found and he was now all over the news.

He had taken the identity of a Landon Furey this time. Her fiance, Landon Furey.

The news had chilled Love. She had gone pale as she rushed to the room and saw the video playing on her Dad's laptop. It was of the cops arresting Landon aka Benedict from his condo. She had only been to his home twice in a year and never stayed long enough after he had tried to get into her pants.

She had pretended to be saving herself for marriage with him, which was only a way for her to keep his hands off her. Her lips though, she hadn't been able to save as he had stolen kisses from her frequently. After what he did with Ava, with all the blackmail he put them through, he was nothing but trouble she couldn't deal with nor could speak about in the open.

So, seeing him get arrested did come as a shock, more because she didn't know he was a con man in the first place.

When Ava and Clary showed up minutes later, with Clary holding a crying Ava who had immediately thrown herself around Love with a shriek, Love had understood what happened.

Jonathan happened

He knew everything. He was the reason behind the arrest. He had saved both of them. Love wondered if that was the reason he had shown up hours ago to claim her that wildly against her wardrobe.

She still had his scent on him as she remained seated with doubts clouding her mind. She wanted Jonathan to come home soon. He was the one her father was desperately calling. His phone was switched off and there was no sign of him in the video either. She had a bad feeling that he had been hurt.

Where was he? Why was he being so late?

"Fuck!" her father cursed, placing himself with a heavy sigh on the single-seater. "What a mess we have made! Love, how could you keep this from us?"

Love looked up at him, her lips trembling. "I'm sorry, Dad. I...we didn't have a choice. We're scared because Landon had that video of Ava and him."

Ava hissed a breath, making all eyes in the room turn to her. She sniffled, rubbing a finger under her nose as she too pulled her legs up her seat, hugging them. She looked so innocent, her face carrying a tired look. Her eyebrows were touched together at the center of her forehead as she squeezed her eyes shut.