Chaper /1

Kaden's POV
Monday
7:14am

Waiting for my English class to start seems much more annoying than it should be. At the moment I am leaning on one of the walls in the hallway and counting the minutes, maybe even the seconds till it finally starts. People pass me by, one after another, and slowly fade away. Some are laughing at each other's jokes, others are arguing about the correct answer to question number six, from yesterday's math test, and I'm just staring into the void thinking about all of that.

Finally, after perhaps a century, I see my friend Adira walking towards me. She's dragging herself like a rag across the school floor, sweeping all the dust and dirt behind her. I see she's finally decided show up, despite her immense laziness, and eternal apathy towards learning.

"What brings you here so early?" I ask sarcastically.

"Definitely not your highness, it's all of my absence marks, instead." she scoffs. "If I don't show up everyday for the rest of the month I'm going to get expelled."

"Expelled? But the school year started two months ago! Maybe you should ask your parents, to talk to the guidance counselor." I respond.

Suddenly the bell rings, causing me to snap out of the conversation and quickly grab my books out of the locker last minute.

"Forget it, they couldn't care less anyways." Adira waves her hand and walks past me, heading towards our classroom.

As I space out in class, I hear whispers coming from the people behind me. They're talking about Michael's dad who found out that, his jeep was stolen last Tuesday. Apparently there is a suspect in our class. My curiosity gets the best of me and I decide to eavesdrop on who it could be. After a while, Robert tells Nick that he has doubts, about a certain someone, and that turns out to be no one else, but me. Why would I feel the need, to steal Mr. Bailey's Jeep. The truth is that I don't have a very bright reputation at school because of my mother, who is known for petty crimes. She's been called to the precinct several times already, but she's never been arrested because she would always confess, but of course I can't deny the fact that she has a record.

However, I am innocent and have nothing to do with the missing Jeep in question as Robert claims and I will do my best to prove it. Finally the class ends and I'm free, at least for the next five minutes. These breaks are way too short, it's unbelievable. Walking out in the hallway, I see Jim arguing with Adira catching everyone's attention. Jim is a mutual friend of ours, to put it bluntly, and he hangs out with us from time to time, basically whenever we see him, which is rare.

I walk towards them, but when Jim sees me he quickly turns around and walks in the opposite direction. leaving Adira completely confused and me too, honestly. I don't think it's a good idea to interrogate her so I just nod and motion for her to follow me outside, behind the school. She obviously understands my hint and we both go there without saying a word. The silence is so loud, that I don't need to say anything weird to make the atmosphere more awkward.

We decide sit on one of the benches by the exit, and continue to stay silent.

"Well, will you tell me what's been going on with you lately?" I finally speak up.

"I don't want to talk, about it!" she says, abruptly standing from her seat.

"Wait! I'm not going to ask you about Jim, I actually wanted to tell you something about myself." I quickly stop her.

"Alright? What is it?" Adira asks.

"Robert thinks I stole Mr. Bailey's Jeep. Of course that's not true, but I don't know how to prove it!" I complain.

"Oh Please! Why would you, out of everyone, steal it?" she rolls her eyes.

"I guess it's because of my mother. Everyone knows she brings trouble, maybe they assume I "work" with her." I say.

"Yes, but you're definitely not the only one. Don't worry, they will solve the case soon." she assures me.

"I think I'll talk to Mr. Bailey, maybe I can help him with something regarding the situation." I add.

"I don't think it's a good idea. You don't want to stand out too much. Leave it at that." Adira explains.

"Fine then, now let's go back to class." I suggest and we both head back inside the school.