Chapter /3

Adira's POV
Thursday
01:37am

I'm on my way home from my shift at the coffee shop, and as I'm walking down the street, I feel someone pulling on my jacket, and shoving me in a small, dark alley. I reach for my knife but remember that there is still fresh blood on it, so I decide to keep it in place. In the meantime, I see that the person in question is not anyone else, but Jim himself.

"What do you want from me? I already told you, everything!" I yell.

"I know you told Dean about me and Erica! I have proof, don't lie to me!" Jim says.

"That's not true! Besides, I don't care about your relationship! I have more important things to do, if you want to know!" I respond, trying to escape from him.

"Stupid freak! You're just as geeky as your dear Kaden! I found out, that he also started stealing cars." Jim grins slyly.

"He is not a thief, don't you dare talk about him like that!" I protest, while gripping my knife.

"Or what? Are you perhaps carrying a weapon?" he asks.

I decide to keep quiet, and not use any harmful objects, so I just pull away from him swiftly. Then I quickly start running home, hoping no one will notice that I'm late way past my curfew. My family doesn't know, I work part time. Honestly, I don't plan on telling them anyways, they will try to steal, even the little money I make. These misers! They never support me for anything, I know they don't want to see me succeed in life. This is just envious, lowly envious.

I slowly enter my apartment building, and as I walk up the stairs I hear a door opening. Then I see one of my sisters leaning against our front door, glaring at me. It's too late, to run away now. I try to walk past her, and go inside, but she stops me by grabbing my arm tightly.

"Where do you think you're going? Do you really think I will let you go inside at this hour? Everyone is sleeping!" She whispers, while squeezing my arm.

"I will be quiet, I promise! Please let me in!" I say trying to free myself from her grip.

"Not a chance! Listen I don't care where you have been, but know one thing! You're sleeping outside tonight!" she says, as she lets go of me, and slams the door in my face.

Well, that will surely wake everyone up, unlike me going inside. I know she's just doing all of this out of spite. That's just how she is, my "dear" sister Nora. Since it's too cold to go back outside, I curl up near the staircase, and use my backpack as a pillow. I see cold air coming out of my mouth, everytime I exhale, as I slowly fall asleep. I try my best to control my shivers, so they don't end up disturbing my slumber.

Kaden's POV
Thursday
6:53am

I wake up from the sound of my alarm, and quickly get up remembering that I have to go and see Adira. Putting on some random clothes, I grab my backpack and head out my apartment. She lives right next to us, so I immediately ring the bell, and wait patiently. After a few minutes one of her sisters, Lila opens the door.

"Hey Lila, good morning! Sorry to disturb you so early, but Adira told me to come over before school." I blurt out, nervously.

"That's okay Kaden, but she's not home. In fact I don't remember seeing her come back, in the first place." she says.

"Wait, really? Do you know, where I can find her then?" I respond in confusion.

"No, but you know what? Why don't you just call her? I bet she's not that far away, you shouldn't worry about her so much!" Lila says, while closing the door, and leaving me dumbfounded.

Very "nice" of her, unbelievable! How can she be so cold, towards her own sister. I quickly take out my phone to call Adira, when I hear hers ring in the distance. Is she perhaps returning home, right now? I make a few steps, down the stairs, only to find her sleeping besides them. I shake her a little to wake her up, and feel that she is almost frozen. Then I see that she's not waking up, I pick her up in my arms, and bring her home, since there's still relatively warm.