Chapter /4

Kaden's POV
Thursday
7:19am

I walk quietly into my apartment carrying Adira, careful not to wake my still sleeping mother. I manage to carry her carefully into my room and let her lay down. I wrap her with my blanket and, and I hear her slowly wake up. Adira opens her eyes, and looks at me in confusion as I get up, to grab her a glass of water.

"Drink some, are you still cold?" I ask.

"No, not anymore. I'm fine don't worry." she says, as she takes a sip of the water.

"I would make you tea, but we dont have electricity, it must be because of unpaid bills." I mumble.

"No need." Adira sits up slowly, and puts the glass, on the bedside table.

I ask her, why was shs sleeping near the stairscase, and she explains to me that Nora wouldn't let her in. I then tell her that, she could've just called me, so she can come over, but apparently she didn't want to bother me.

Adira starts telling me how Jim is threatening her, because she knows about his secret relationship with Erica. The only thing I couldn't figure out, was what exactly was he blackmailing her with. She claims she's being manipulated, but Adira isn't hiding anything questionable that anyone could ever slander her with, unless there's something she's not telling me herself.

"Are you sure, that's all? If you want me to help you, I need to know the whole truth." I say.

"That's all Kaden, I already told you everything! Now let's go to school, we're already late!" she rushes out of my room.

"Wait! If you're feeling tired you can stay here, and skip classes today." I explain.

"Are you serious? Don't you remember what I told you about my low attendance! We better both show up to school today, let's go!" she snatches my backpack from the rack, and pulls me outside.

8:02am

Me and Adira, are both running towards our classroom. Sadly, we have science and our teacher is very strict, I will try to explain why we're late, and hopefully, he will understand. Of course, he doesn't listen to our words, and without much time to waste, he signs us up, for detention after school. I'm going towards my seat, while panting and sit, feeling completely exhausted. Then I hear, the same whispers from behind me. I'm tired of all this nonsense, I won't let it slide. I'll talk to Michael, if I have to. I'll even talk to his father too, they'll all find out who they're dealing with.

School's finally over for the day, but unfortunately me and Adira have to stay in class, because of the detention. We have to clean the room together, and organize the paperwork for our homeroom teacher Mr. Hill. While she's cleaning the windows, I'm organizing the folders. One of the sheets catches my attention, and it's a report sent to Jim's family, relating to his misbehavior at school. I didn't know he had so many visits to the principal, apparently he's more suspicious than I expected. Is it even possible that he stole Mr. Bailey's Jeep? What if Adira knows and, has asked him about it? I feel like, I'm slowly putting the pieces together in my head.

"Hey, look!" I wave the piece of paper, in my hand! "I found something interesting, regarding Jim!"

Adira quickly drops the rag she was holding, and comes to snatch the document from my hand. She starts reading it carefully and a smile shows up on her face.

"That's great! Maybe I can use this to get him expelled!" she exclaims.

"Wait isn't that a bit too much? I thought that maybe we can try and talk to him, so he can leave you alone." I quickly add, while taking back the paper.

"No Kaden, you don't understand! It's far more serious than it seems, I have to get him out of here!" Adira stutters, while shaking my arm.

"I feel like there's something, you're not telling me. If it's that serious, then he'll continue to chase you, even from a different school." I say firmly, while pulling my arm away.

She sits down on her desk, and I sigh, while going to sit next to her, deciding to ask her, only one more time.

"Adira, tell me everything."