Chapter /2

Kaden's POV
Wednesday
11:48pm

Currently, I'm laying in my room and I think about how unfairly, people have been treating me at school. I've been called a fraud more than once, but a thief, that's too much. Adira doesn't want me to talk about it and I plan on listening to her, so I don't add fuel to the fire. I also wonder what she and Jim were arguing about in the hallway. Maybe there's something between them, not that it matters though, it's none of my concern.

At that moment I notice, a text message showing up on my phone, and to my surprise, I see that it's from my friend Ben. I haven't heard from him in a long time, I was even wondering if he's still alive, apparently he is. Ben is reaching out to me, because he wants to ask me if we can meet up. I reply to him that I agree, and ask for the location. Let's see what is that all about.

My arrangement with Ben is to meet at the park behind our school, and I'm headed in that direction right now. To be completely honest I don't have a very good feeling about this, since Ben's businesses are never clean. I hope he hasn't gotten in any trouble, and I also hope he won't get me involved, either.

Walking towards the park, I get the strong feeling that someone is creeping up behind me, and I decide to turn around. I don't see anyone, but the feeling remains. Very strange, I decide to turn around a few more times, just in case and have a good look around, but I still don't see anyone.

At the same moment, Ben jumps from behind my back and greets me. Was he the one walking behind me the whole time? What a joke!

"What are you doing? You scared the-"
Ben cuts me off by putting his hand over my mouth.

"Shhh, don't scream, everyone is asleep at that hour!" he says.

"Right, now what is it so urgent, that you wanted to see me at that said hour?" I ask.

"Follow me, I will tell you everything in great detail." Ben responds, as he takes me to a small convenience store, near the park.

There he explains to me how he had started working, for some company about export of construction materials. He tries to convince me to start working there with him since they were looking for a new employee, he also keeps explaining to me how they don't do any illegal stuff, which frankly I highly doubt.

However, I choose to go along, as a little extra money would never go to waste in my case. It's not a very prestigious job, but it's still better than nothing. Of course, I also told him about the rumors about me among my classmates, and he advised me, to not dwell on them, and that they would probably die down soon enough. I surely hope so.

After our long chat with Ben, we bid our goodbyes, and I decide to head back home. On my way there, I hear that I'm getting a message, and I take out my phone to answer it.

Adira: Kaden, I need your help with something. Can we meet at my place before school?

Kaden: Sure, is it something serious?
Are you okay?

Adira: I am, don't worry about anything. I will tell you everything when you come over.

Kaden: Alright, in that case good night. See you then!

Adira: Good night, Kaden!

I don't know if I'm overexaggerating or not, but to me, Adira seems pretty worried. I truly hope that everything is alright with her, I don't want her to be in trouble. I'm finally home and I decide to rest, since it's already pretty late, or should I say pretty early. I have school in a few hours, so I better try my best to get enough sleep.