Chapter 18: Bad Moon Rising

1st POV (Nico)

Since our first encounter a month has gone by. We've had multiple other encounters. I really am stuck with them. The first time they came over, I told them to stay away from Changewing Island, but they don't understand that. They just keep coming and coming. What am I surprised about? They were always stubborn.

Today I was invited to watch them training. I took that invitation, didn't really have another choice. Hiccup pretty much forced me to. When I got there, I got a pretty big shock. Dad was there. On the one hand, I really wanted to run and hug him. On the other hand, I was terrified. Was he going to recognize me?

"Gobber, this is the king of changewings, you can just call him king. This is Gobber, he is Berks Blacksmith." -Hiccup. That's how he introduced me. As always I had my hood up, but that didn't stop Dad from staring at me. Then he suddenly put his arm around me and pulled me close.

"Nice to meet you, lad. They told Stoick and me about you. Didn't sound like a nice guy, but let's see about that." -Dad. Okay, ouch. Can't say he's wrong, though. But I feel relieved, at least he doesn't know it's me.

Today they were testing Gronckle Iron. It was holding up pretty good about the different dragons. Then Tuffnut walked in front of it as Stormfly was throwing some spikes. Well, he didn't die, even if he looked like he did. We walked to the hall, so that he could tell us what happened.

Apperently, he got attacked by something with red eyes.

"It was too fast, too quick, too ... give me another adjective." -Tuffnut.

"How about imaginary." -Snotlout. Everyone laughed at that. Did we really laugh at a joke from Snotlout?

Then he showed us a bite as proof. For a while Fishlegs tried to find something in the book of dragons, the dragon eye and other books. Most of the others had left. Atlas was outside playing with Toothless. Guess he found a new friend. Fishlegs couldn't find the right dragon, though.

"Maybe it wasn't a dragon after all. Maybe he just got attacked by some animal and exeggerated." -Me. Would be a good explanation, especially when it's about Tuffnut.

"Maybe, maybe not. But we are probably all thinking the same thing." -Dad. It was just him, Hiccup, Fishlegs, Tuffnut and me left.

"And would you care to enlighten us, what we are thinking?" -Me.

"Wow, you sound like my son. So blunt." -Dad. I tensed for a moment, but then he continued. "Lycanwing. The Lycanwing dragon is a rare beast. Those who survive ist bite, aren't actually survivors at all. They are doomed to a life as half man half Lycanwing. At the height of every full moon, the viking transforms into a dragon."

I think he told me that story before. I don't believe it, but Tuffnut did.

"It's nothing but a legend. Gobber have you ever seen a Lycanwing? King did you ever see one? Did anyone on Berk ever see a Lycanwing before?" -Hiccup. No one ever did. What a surprise. "I rest my case."

Later that night, everyone was together outside. Atlas and I were staying the night. Dad was telling us a story about a boy named Castler, who apparently got bitten by a Lycanwing and turned into a dragon. At the end, he told Tuffnut not to worry, since he wasn't showing any symptoms.

Of course, Snotloud had to get between that. „Can we really tell that? Come on, Gobster, tell us the symptoms, just for the sake of the arguments." What a brat. Ruffnut warned him that it's not a good idea, but Dad still said them.

Sensitivity of light, suddenly Tuffnut couldn't look into the fire anymore. Unquenchable thirst, suddenly Tuffnut was extremly thirsty. Fidgety arms and his arms started twitching and hitting his sister. And the need to eat fresh fish. He started eating his dragons fish. Distgusting. After that, he ran off and Snotloud started laughing.