Prologue: Chapter 6 - Lullaby

Finding the coyotes was easy. V, out of necessity and curiosity, had become an expert tracker of man and animal (what was left of them) and found the small pack roaming around the desert just a mile from the Bakker camp. Without her revolver, it took longer than usual to dispatch the animals, having to resort to only using her katana and playing a game of chase and lure. Eventually, just as the sun began to touch the ridge of the canyons, V had six coyote carcasses set in her car. One of them, a medium-sized male with a dark tan coat, she stashed in the trunk of the Galena under her tent. This one she would dress and clean in the secret of night and take to Jake the next day. 

When V rolled up into camp, no one came running over to her or asked her why she was gone for so long. Nobody ever seemed to care when V left camp. That suited her just fine; especially now.

V pulled her car up to the salvage rig, parking close enough to unload the Galena, but far enough away to make it easier to keep the coyote in her trunk hidden. Marnie was there at her post, her braids waving faintly in the breeze now that her turban was gone, otherwise looking like she hadn't moved all day. She didn't look up at or acknowledge V until V had opened up her back door and started pulling out the coyotes.

"Small pack," Marnie said suddenly. 

V flinched, but didn't freeze. There wasn't a hint of insinuation in Marnie's tone, but V felt paranoia start to lick at her spine. She forced a shrug and threw another coyote down on the salvage table.

"About average, I'd say," V replied coolly. She saw Marnie's eyes glance over to the coyotes, noting the slight widening of her eyelids. V swallowed and turned to grab another coyote.

"You use the ammo?"

V did freeze this time; but only for a split second before pulling a coyote out of the Galena by the tail. She hadn't used the ammo, because she left her revolver with Jake. Marnie must have noticed the single stab wounds in each of the coyotes versus the usual bullet hole.

Shit...

"Nah-would'a been too hard to get a good shot in. They were holed up in their den; easier to use the sword. Plus, my revolver's been actin' up a little. Need to sit down and take a look at it."

Marnie's eyes flickered over V's face. V set the last coyote on the table next to the others and stood back, wiping a hand over her suddenly sweaty face. Her heartrate picked up. Marnie finally held out her hand expectantly.

"If ya didn't use the bullets, give'm back."

V felt a thread of relief, and reached into her pocket, noting Marnie's micro flinch as she did so.

V obediently deposited the unused speedloaders into Marnie's hand. Marnie examined the loaders, and once satisfied the unused bullets were all accounted for, set them on the large table and picked up her tablet to record their return. 

"Told Zach about the pack. These fellas are gonna get cooked up in a nice big stew tonight, and anything else we'll turn into jerky. Some of the kids need new clothes, so the pelts will come in handy."

It was the same old story. Marnie was telling her in a roundabout way to not expect any part of her own hunt; the clan came first. The clan always came first.

Not always now, V thought as her mind slid to the carcass hidden in her trunk. 

V jumped when someone came limping up to the salvage rig around the side of her Galena, suddenly popping into view. It was the Doc, dragging his bum leg behind him, wiping his shiny bald head with an old bandanna. At the sight of him V was hit with a flash of guilt, recalling her raid on his supplies. She nodded to Marnie and quickly turned to get in her car and drive back to her spot in the canyon. Just as she reached to open the car door, she heard the Doc say, "Hey Marnie, nice mornin' isn't it? Can you put those painkillers I like to keep stocked on the search list? Went to grab some for Annie's migraines, poor thing is havin' attacks again, and we have less than I thought we did."