Chapter 22: Dive, Dive, Dive

"Follow me."

Evelyn brushed her hand by the lounge's door, disengaging the e-lock. She motioned for V to follow by wagging her finger at her, before turning and walking into the hallway. V followed close behind.

"Got somethin' for ya," Evelyn started, "Should help you plan. Braindance from Konpeki Plaza."

V's footsteps faltered. 

A braindance? Shit...

"Now how's a braindance supposed to help?" V asked with a drawl. "Need facts, not thrills."

Evelyn tossed her head to the side to look over her shoulder and gave V a smirk. She was leading V down a hallway smothered with raunchy posters that would make a BD star blush, with neon lights alternating between pink and blue. 

"Think BDs are only good for fondling virtual tits and jackin' off to in those boxes?"

They approached the end of the hallway and turned left, marching straight towards a set of double doors at the end.

"No, V. They can be a very useful tool. Good for analyzing details that human perception, even boosted, doesn't grasp. Exactly what you need."

V chewed on the inside of her lip. She'd read about braindances and how they operated. They recorded everything; like Evelyn said, even things that baseline conscious perception couldn't recall. But still...

She had to keep it together. Professional. Open-minded. Ready to serve her clients, like always.

The double doors ahead of them automatically opened, e-lock turning green as Evelyn approached. Seems she had the VIP pass. She led V into a large room filled with Lizzy Wizzy posters, racks of various types of revealing clothing, and wall to wall mirrors and boudoirs. Looked like it was the changing room for the various dancers and servers at Lizzie's. Makeup, perfume, and various "toys" laid strewn over every surface, along with piles of boxes and weird half assembled mannequins all over the floor itself. The place reeked of perfume and ChroManticore.

"So, what's on the tape?" V asked, nose curling. Evelyn moved quickly through the room and to the right, to another door that swished open.

"Yorinobu's suite, the glorious interior," Evelyn replied. "You'll need to locate the Relic yourself. Hope I grabbed enough detail to make that possible."

They were in a dark, dimly lit dirty staircase now. Felt weird to see washed out grey instead of the hyper bright pink and blue neon the Mox loved. V took a moment as they walked to mull over Evelyn's words. Her initial suspicion had been correct; Evelyn was close to Yorinobu. Close enough to know about his history, know his whereabouts, and his security situation. Even had a damn nickname for him. And if she was able to scroll his apartment...she was a hell of a lot closer than V thought.

"The last ace, hmm?" V quipped as Evelyn paused next to a grimy door on the landing, practically posing next to a "High Voltage" sign. "Figured you were the one who scrolled it."

Evelyn's lips twitched, and she set a hand on her hip.

"Mhmm. BD rec implant."

V searched her face.

"So you know Yorinobu Arasaka," V said plainly.

Evelyn's lips pulled into a proud grin.

"How else could I get all this intel? I know him pretty well, actually. We have an arrangement. Strictly business. Suits us both, I think."

V never understood that herself. Something like that; how could it just be "business"? 

Then again, she was a merc...so what did she know.