Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Pebblepaw heard Darkpaw's screech which was abruptly cut off as the she-cat was swept down the river. She wanted to jump in the river, but her flanks were heaving with the exertion of the mini-fight, and she let Frostbark guide her into the medicine den.

"Might have opened up that big wound again," Frostbark muttered irritably, "Come on, sit."

Pebblepaw was trembling, bile in her mouth. The world didn't feel real, as though everything was spiralling out of control. She let out a gasp, and winced in pain as Frostbark slapped a poultice on her side.

The old medicine cat sighed. "Lay down, Pebblepaw," he snapped at her.

Pebblepaw lay down obediently on her side, and Frostbark gave her a disgusting mixture to lap up. Pebblepaw let out a gusty sigh. Frostbark looked at her sharply, and proceeded to lay down beside her.

"Look. You're a mess." he said bluntly "I've been through it, too. Know what it's like to be beaten and alone. But," his voice trailed away, "it gets better. You just gotta keep on pushing. Keep on surviving, kit. Keep on keepin' on."

He let out a trembling gasp, but Pebblepaw understood what he was saying. Frostbark didn't say much, and when he did speak it was almost always a sharp retort. Pebblepaw had never seen him be vulnerable, and yet... she could see what he was trying to tell her. As her eyelids closed and she let sleep come in, Pebblepaw let her muscles relax. I'll try...? She thought uneasily. But how can I keep fighting after everything?

Pebblepaw stretched her jaws and took a massive yawn. It had been almost a half moon since her and Nightpaw's encounter with the fox, and yet, she still felt miserable. It had taken time for her wounds with the fox to recover, and for the past half moon she had generally been in camp doing odd jobs. Shimmerclaw hadn't minded, since her and Troutstar were keenly focussed on taking back territory from ThunderClan.

"Hiya Pebblepaw! Lovely day for a lovely yawn, ain't it."

Pebblepaw turned to see Carptuft padding up to her, a relaxed smile on his fluffy face. "Yes... I mean, I guess." Pebblepaw responded.

She bustled away, but Carptuft still wanted to talk to her. "Hey. So about that epic vole you caught yesterday... I ate it!"

Pebblepaw rounded on her clanmate. "This isn't productive," she hissed. "Look, just leave me alone."

The massive tom shrugged awkwardly and moved off. Pebblepaw sighed inwardly. Ever since that fateful day with the fox, her clanmates had started treating her differently. Some, like Snowflight and elder Birchforest, looked at her with round, pitying eyes. Some, like Carptuft and Mousefang, were impressed by her recklessness. Then there was Darkpaw, who looked at her, from the medicine den, as though she very much wanted to slit Pebblepaw's throat.

Pebblepaw sighed inwardly, her mind flicking back to the day Darkpaw had fallen in the river. She had heard from Thornpaw that Darkpaw had been fished out by Firbush. On gut instinct alone, Thornpaw had managed to pump the water out of the she-cat's lungs. When Firbush carried the semi-conscious shape of Darkpaw to the medicine den, Pebblepaw instantly recalled being vaguely awake. Firbush had laid down Darkpaw and darted out of the den. All that Pebblepaw remembered was Frostbark whirling around, immense disappointment on his face as he looked at the half alive form of Darkpaw.

"Foxdung! Watch it apprentice." Pebblepaw whirled around to see the face of Spikewillow glowering back at her.

Pebblepaw sighed inwardly, but Spikewillow wasn't finished with her insults yet. "Stop following me like a helpless kit. Back off!"