3.

"i'm not lying. can you just fix it please." i mumbled as i looked away from them.

they couldn't see me break. they would take me away from mom and i was going to die before i let that happen.

"charlotte i'm serious." calum replied firmly.

"we aren't doing this to trap you or make you upset, but it just simply doesn't look like a kitchen accident." michael added calmly.

i saw mom come out of the room out of the corner of my eye.

"mom! it's a kitchen accident right?" i spoke loudly enough for her to hear me.

"of course. and you have no reason to believe other wise." mom spoke firmly as she walked to my side slowly.

"are you okay babe? you hit the ground pretty fast." michael spoke quickly to mom.

"i'm fine. blood just makes me really nauseous." she replied with an eye roll.

"i still don't believe this is a kitchen accident. there's no way. it's in an awkward placement and really fucking deep." calum spoke with a hint of doubt in his eyes.

"are you calling my daughter a liar?" mom spoke softly.

we were liars.

calum hesitantly backed down before grabbing my arm lightly and rinsing it out.

"i'm just going to wrap it up then we'll be out of here." calum muttered as he got the gauze out of his pocket.

i hissed in pain as he placed in a pressure bandage on the cut to stop the bleeding.

"all done." calum spoke as he finished wrapping the cut.

"i think we'll head on back to our house and let you two have a lovely day." michael replied with a tiny smile.

"perfect. see you later baby." mom smiled softly as she gave him a hug.

"bye babe." michael replied as he left the house with the boys.

as soon as mom heard the door shut she spun around and said,  "we need to be way more careful about this."

"no, you need to be way more careful. i did you a favor because i don't want to lose you. i hate this shit mom. we're lying to them. we're lying to michael. you know he truly loves you, he won't leave you just because you struggle with life." i spoke firmly as i wiped tears from my eyes.

"i'm trying char. i don't want him to know though. you're going to lose me and i know you don't want to lose me." mom spoke almost pleading with me.

"i'm tired mom. i'm going to bed." i whispered leaving her standing in the middle of the kitchen.

you may think it's easy to live my life, but it's not. especially when you were the only thing keeping your mother here and alive.

it's exhausting trying to keep someone alive when they can't even keep clean for you.

i reached my room and shut the door firmly.

i grabbed my phone and saw a text from ashton.

ashton: if you ever need anyone to talk to let me know. i'm here for you and your mom.

me: thank you.

i didn't even know what to do. one part of me wanted to tell the truth, but the other part was terrified of being separated.

michael's pov

"somethings not right over there. it was clearly a self harm cut, but i don't understand why bailey is covering for her." calum spoke as we all stepped out of the car.

"i don't know either." i spoke softly.

"there's not much i can do until she confesses or bailey comes in for help." ashton replied softly.

"i'll talk to her." i replied stiffly.

i was nervous. i didn't want the daughter of the love of my life to be hurting herself.