23.

i woke up the next morning to michael slowly standing up.

"sorry, i didn't mean to wake you." he chuckled as he headed into his bathroom.

i slowly stood up and walked back to my room to sleep some more.

a couple hours must've passed because when i woke up all of the boys were gone at work.

i walked downstairs and read the note they left before deciding to go for a walk.

i threw on sweats and an oversized t-shirt. i tied my hair into a high pony tail before putting my shoes on and heading out the door.

i walked to a tiny park where i saw a little boy playing with his mom.

he looked over at me and i gave him a tiny wave before continuing on my walk.

i circled back around and saw that same little boy sitting there on the ground, but his mom nowhere to be found.

i walked up to him slowly.

"hey honey, where's your mom?" i asked.

"don't know. left." he spoke softly with tears in his eyes.

"she left you?" i spoke completely shocked that a mother would do that.

"went back to car." the boy shrugged as he looked down at the dirt.

i nodded and pulled out my cell phone and called 911. the mother was shameful.

the police arrived in a couple minutes and i updated them on the situation.

they searched everywhere for the boy's mother but couldn't find her.

"well, she's going to jail for child abandonment." the officer spoke seeming really annoyed.

"can i leave him with you?" i asked.

the officer nodded and thanked me before i walked off after saying goodbye to the little boy.

moments like these made me realize my mom wasn't so bad. sure she needed more help then others, but at least she didn't abandon me.

i returned home and saw a car in front of the house and slowly made my way to the porch.

"hello. does someone by the name of michael clifford live her?" the man asked.

"yes, but he's at work at the hospital near here. why?" i asked softly.

"i can't say. thank you." the man spoke before walking off.

i walked back into the house and locked the doors before sitting on the couch watching a movie.

i wonder what that man had for michael?

michael's pov

i just finished with my second surgery and was sitting in my office going over charts when a nurse came back and told me a man needed to speak to me.

i nodded and a man came into my office.

"are you michael clifford?" he asked.

"i am." i replied slowly.

"you've been served." he spoke simply as he placed an envelope in front of me.

guess i was going to court.

i love charlotte and bailey, but a huge part of me was worried i was going to lose this case and lose both of the people i care deeply about.

charlotte's pov

as the day went by, i did some cleaning around the house and ordered sushi from a nearby restaurant.

i hated fish, but i knew they all loved it so i decided to get it for them.

just as i finished setting the table, the front door opened and in came the boys.

"hello." i smiled softly as i stood in front of the table.

"you ordered sushi! thank you. i was genuinely craving it." calum sighed as he plopped down in his chair.

the rest of the boys did the same.

"what are you going to have?" ashton asked as he sat back.

"i got an avocado only roll. so it's not seafood just veggies." i smiled.

"weirdo." luke spoke with an eye roll.

"luke hemmings, we've been over this. those who like fish are the weirdo's not me." i replied with a tiny smile.

"oh yeah, someone came by looking for you today." i spoke before luke could say anything back.

"it was a guy telling me i have been served. you're father is pursuing civil court over this. don't worry i won't let you go without a fight." michael spoke softly.

"we all won't let you go without a fight." ashton added with a tiny nod of reassurance.

i felt tears enter my eyes. i felt loved. i didn't think i would feel this amount of love after mom left.

the boys continue to surprise me.