Stay

Hangman Adam Page x Maxine Redwood (OC)

***

Maxine's eyes slowly blinked open, her eyes wandering around the room as far as she could see without shifting her neck. On her bedside table sat a beautiful bouquet of pink roses and a pile of get-well-soon cards. Beside that, fast asleep in one of those uncomfortable hospital chairs, was Hangman.

His presence surprised her. There was no one there for her when she went in for surgery. Hangman had sent a concerned and supportive text, but she hadn't expected him to show up.

"Adam?" she asked, her throat hoarse. He didn't stir, so she did her best to clear her throat and tried again. "Adam."

He woke with a jolt, shock evident in his eyes. "Hey. You're awake." A smile grew over his lips and he scooted closer. "Can I get you anything?"

"Water."

Adam complied, finding a nurse. Once she checked Maxine's vitals and gave her some water, the nurse left them alone.

"Did Kenny bring those?" Maxine asked, referring to the flowers.

"Um, no." Hangman tore his eyes away from hers. "I brought those."

"Thank you," she said.

"Liz sent a card." Liz called before the surgery and they had a touching conversation, but she was busy working in the UK. "So did your parents." Hangman cleared his throat. "I'm sure Kenny wanted to be here..."

Maxine tried her best to hold in tears. She didn't want to cry in front of Hangman; that would be too embarrassing. The two were friends for years, but they hadn't been that close for a while.

"I don't care," she said. Her voice was strangled; she did care. Very much so.

Here she was with a broken neck, fresh from surgery, and Kenny hadn't even called. Sure, he was busy in Japan. But he couldn't spare even a few moments to wish his girlfriend good luck before surgery? To even send a text?

"Max."

She looked up, as well as she could.

"Are you okay?" Hangman asked. His voice was dripping with concern. He had never seen her like this, and he certainly didn't like it.

"No," she admitted. "I have to retire. It... it would be too dangerous for me to keep wrestling. They... They told me before the surgery."

"And you still did it?"

"I didn't have a choice. It was wrestling or my life."

Hangman reached forward and held one of her hands comfortingly. "I'm so sorry, Max."

Maxine took a deep, shuddering breath before continuing. "And... I think I'm breaking up with Kenny."

"Good."

"Good?"

"You deserve better," Hangman said. "I mean, where's Kenny now? Not here with you."

Maxine knew he was right, but she didn't want to hear it. She almost wanted him to convince her to stay with Kenny. She still loved him, even when all the evidence pointed to splitting up.

There was nothing Maxine wanted more than for Kenny to be there for her. She was at her most vulnerable, and the man she had dated for two years was nowhere to be found.

"You're right." It came out sounding like a sob. She tried to hold back the floodgates, but it was no use.

She should've known. She should've seen the writing on the wall. If she was honest, Max and Kenny had been slipping apart for a while. He hadn't even called for her birthday. She got a "Good morning baby, hope you have a great birthday" text and that was it.