I've Always Loved You

Hangman Adam Page x Maxine Redwood (OC)

***

Maxine's head rests on Hangman's chest as she strokes his bearded chin. Nothing exists outside of the two of them when they're together.
She doesn't know when this started happening, or how. Spending nights with him, that is. She doesn't care. All that matters is them.

She reaches up to kiss him sweetly.

He smiles fondly. "That's my girl."

She doesn't mean to say it. The words come tumbling out of her mouth faster than she can process it. "I love you."

He freezes. At his reaction, so does Maxine. She wishes she could take it back. She doesn't want to ruin what they have. Whatever this is. It's the best part of her life right now and if she managed to screw that up... she wouldn't forgive herself.

She starts to apologize, to take back what she's revealed. That was when the trouble with Kenny started, she realized. When she told him she loved him and he didn't say it back. She should've known then.

Trying to take back the confession is like trying to put toothpaste back in the tube. Once it's out, there's no way to get it back in. There's just a mess.

Hangman sits up, and Maxine's heart races. This is it, she thinks as she rises as well. He's going to tell her he doesn't feel the same.

She's going to be first. "I'm sorry, Adam, I didn't mean... if you don't feel the same way, I get it--"

"No, no." He holds her face with both hands and looks her in the eyes. "Of course I feel the same. Max, I've always loved you. Since we met in Ring of Honor. You had been in the company for three days and we went to dinner after training. Do you remember?"

She nods, the memory slowly coming back to her. That was so many years ago now.

"You smiled at me and I knew. I didn't know that I knew, but I did. I have loved you since then."

Maxine's heart flutters. Not only does he love her, but he's always loved her. Maybe she has too. She just didn't realize.

She can't form words, so she kisses him instead. Deeply. Passionately. As if it will make up for the years of lost time. It won't, but it's a lovely dream.

"That's the most romantic thing anyone's ever told me," she admits when they part. Kenny was never like that. Genuine. Adam is. He is kind, and thoughtful, and real. Kenny may have whispered sweet nothings in Maxine's ear, but he never meant them. Nothing about Kenny ever felt real.

Not like being with Adam does. He reminds Maxine that life is worth living. With that mischievous smile and those piercing eyes, he makes it all okay. How did she never see it before? It's all so clear to her now.

He's gazing at her, with those caring eyes, and it is almost too much for her to handle. When did she become so shy?

"You deserve to hear it. Max, you're..." He struggles to find the right words. Finally, he pulls her into a tight embrace and whispers, "You are everything to me."

She melts. Her bones, her muscles, her veins, they all turn to liquid. She doesn't even notice the tears until Hangman says something.

He pulls away, brushing the tears away from her eyes. "You okay?"

She holds onto his wrist. "How did I not know?"

Hangman smiles. "You've always been a bit oblivious. It's that big head of yours."

Maxine's face breaks into a grin. How does he always know what to say to make her smile? There's nothing she loves more than their banter. "You're an ass."

"You seem to love my ass."

Her jaw drops at the comment, sending Hangman into a fit of laughter. Soon Maxine joins him. Being in love wouldn't change the bond they'd formed over the years.

Where one of them went, the other followed. They were a pair of cats that needed to be adopted as a pair. They knew each other's dreams, thoughts and feelings. These newly discovered feelings could never change that; their relationship could only blossom further.

-----
-A/N-
Hangmax finally happy?? How