Chapter 3: December 10th

The next morning, when Henry woke up and called for her, she made her way up the steps and swept her son up in her arms as she did almost every morning (he did have his good days.) During their cuddle session, Emma talked to Henry about strangers. But Henry brought up a fair point, that Emma had gone out and come back home with Regina, so he had figured that it was okay. Emma couldn't really argue against that logic.

After being bested by her son, which wasn't uncommon, Emma received a text from Ruby offering to bring some coffee since she heard about the tic-tac-toe assbeating, and Emma was in no position to pass up free coffee. It only took fifteen minutes for Ruby to show up outside her apartment with both coffee and hot chocolate.

"Morning Em." Ruby let herself inside and placed a coffee in her hand before heading over to the kitchen island that Henry was occupying. "Hot chocolate for the little man."

Henry's eyes practically exploded at the sight and looked back to her for permission to drink it. When she gave him the okay, Henry slurped down the hot chocolate like his life depended on it.

"Thanks Ruby. My head is still killing me," Emma said, offering the woman a kind smile.

"No problem. How did it go last night?" Ruby asked.

"Good. We had fun."

"That's it? Just fun?"

"What are you getting at?" Emma asked warily.

Ruby shrugged nonchalantly. "Oh, I don't know. You guys kept giving each other the 'undress me' eyes, so I figured..."

She had been definitely caught. Emma thought that she had been subtle with her glances, especially since Regina seemed quick to call her a bigot, but Ruby's assessment said otherwise. Embarrassment quickly replaced Emma's confusion.

"You noticed."

"I think everybody noticed. And you punching that guy made it so obvious."

"Mommy punched somebody?"

It was clear that both women had forgotten that the six year old was sitting there, and Emma gave Ruby her nastiest glare.

"No buddy. In a dream. We're talking about my dream." Ruby shot her a quick wink and thumbs up, thinking she diverted the conversation.

"Nuh uh. You said last night."

"Last night's dreammmm. Duh. Your mom would never do that."

"That's not what grandma says."

"Okay." Emma uncomfortably dragged out the word as she brought her hands together with a clap. "Henry, go watch cartoons, please."

Henry, who was oblivious to the desperation in Emma's voice, happily skipped over to the couch with his hot chocolate.