Chapter 13: December 23rd

Emma hadn't heard from Regina at all that day until late after Henry went to bed. Their Reginaless day involved Emma helping Henry paint the two brunettes a Christmas gift, shopping for Zelena and Robyns gifts (a bottle of Hennessy for Zelena, and a baby doll Henry had picked out for Robyn), video games, and mass preparation for Christmas Eve which included buying a lot of cookie dough and tons of icing and sprinkles.

She had been about to go to sleep herself when she heard a knock at her door. On guard, she slowly approached her door and checked her peephole, where she saw Regina standing there awkwardly.

'Regina?' She signed when she opened the door. 'What are you doing here?'

'I'm sorry I've been so busy.'

'I get you were busy but I wish you weren't so v-a-g-u-e about what you were doing. You freaked me out. I did not like that at all.'

'I'm sorry. I wasn't thinking. I should've given you a better explanation. I'm very sorry I worried you. I'll make sure it won't happen again."

'Thank you. Now please explain.'

'I can't tell you yet, but I promise you will be thrilled. And I assure you, I'm not going anywhere.' Regina reinforced that statement by looking Emma directly in her eyes as she grabbed her hand and placed a reassuring kiss on her knuckles, sealing it with 'I promise.'

'You're cute you know that.'

'You know the saying, "You are what you eat." Do you want to know what I ate recently?'

'Regina!'

'Guess a day and a half without you will do that to a woman.'

That was absolute music to Emma's ears. She wasted no time yanking the brunette over to her bedroom, a flirty grin taking over as Regina kicked the door shut behind her and threw off her bag, their lips crashing together the second it was closed. Emma could feel the smile on Regina's lips and Emma could help but smile.

Regina gently pulled back, smile still intact as she signed 'Can I come stay the night? I missed you.'

'You don't even have to ask.' Emma shot Regina a small as she tucked the nonexistent strand of hair behind her ear. 'What would you have done if I didn't come to the door? What if I was asleep?'

'I would've called you repeatedly until you woke up.'

'Gee. Thanks.'

'So what did you guys do while I was away?'

'Nothing much. Hung out with Ruby, got a gift for your sister and Robyn, and got stuff for Christmas Eve. Nothing too crazy. Ruby's gifts came so I w-r-a-p-p-e-d them. That's it.'

'Come on. I was about to go to sleep.'

Emma pointed to the duffle with a lopsided smile and waited beside the bed as the brunette slipped out of her clothes and into a pair of black silk pajamas. When the brunette finished changing she sauntered over to where Emma was standing, wrapping her arms around her neck.

Emma followed Regina's lead and wrapped her own arms around the brunette's waist and waggled her eyebrows before she fell backwards onto the bed, taking Regina with her.

Regina let out a throaty chuckle as they went down and Emma could feel the butterflies returning to her stomach as the brunette's laughter rang through her ears.

When Emma's back met the bed, Regina hovered over, propped up by her hands. The two exchanged innocent kisses and only after Regina rolled off of her, arms aching, did the two get under the covers. Regina found her usual spot on the left side of the bed and played little spoon wiggling around until she was satisfied with her position. Emma rested her leg on top of the brunettes, and Regina laced their hands together before tucking them into her sides.

As Emma fell asleep she let her mind imagine what the future held for them. Images of the brunette attending PTA meetings alongside her, Regina filling her apartment with her art, Regina and Ruby coming with them on vacation.

That night, she fell asleep with a smile on her face basking in the peaceful silence.