Ch 22: Acceptance

Rana, or Lord Dominator as she was now calling herself, put on her helmet as she examined her reflection in the mirror. Part of the young Empress thought something was missing from the design. Maybe a pair of horns would be a nice, intimidating addition? But she wasn't sure how to add them onto the helmet.

Dominator had spent the last month calibrating a neurologic reader for her new suit. She had finally cracked the code for soft Volcanium transformation. Her new suit looked more like a crop top with a dress, but if the tech worked then her outfit would transform into a top-of-the-line battle suit. It really was amazing what you could do with a proper supply of Volcanium X. All that was left was to test it.

"LORD DOMINATOR," a Probe Bot announced its presence. "I HAVE BROUGHT THE DAILY REPORT."

"Is it noon already?" Dominator asked. "Alrighty then. Lay it on me."

"947 DOMBOTS HAVE BEEN MANUFACTURED IN THE LAST NARJIAN DAY, 253 LESS THAN ORDERED."

"Uugh!" Dominator groaned. "More protest?"

"PROTEST ON AOTIS-2 HAVE DELAYED PRODUCTION."

"For the love of-! It's been five months already! Don't these people know when to give up? Send in some Knights to break up the mob and get the facility running again. Authorize deadly force. What else is there?"

"THE PLANET DRILL HAS BEEN RETRIEVED AND IS CURRENTLY ON ROUTE FOR NARJAHIM AS REQUESTED," the Probe Bot answered.

"Oh, that's awesome!" Dominator smiled. "Is the ship frame still intact?"

"AFFIRMATIVE. THE SHIP FRAME IS 93% STABLE AS OF THE LAST SCAN."

"Good, good. What else?"

"YOU HAVE VISITORS."

"Wait, what? Like actual visitors?" Dominator frowned in confusion. "This isn't another assassination team?"

"AFFIMATIVE."

"Who is it?"

The Probe Bot projected a holographic image of three Narjians. Dominator immediately recognized two of them as Loreta, her old boss from Sigmorta-5, and Caishen from her R&D team. The third person she didn't recognize.

"I wonder what they want," Dominator pondered. "Bring them to the throne room. Tell Bot 3 set up the guest chairs and make some tea for us. If I'm to catch up with old acquaintances, it's only polite to offer drinks."

"AFFIRMATIVE," the Probe Bot saluted before flying off. Dominator, satisfied with her look, made her way to the throne room.

---

Dominator sat in the chair opposite her three guests at the small table. Bot 3 filled the four cups with tea then sat down the teapot. It saluted Lord Dominator before floating away.

"I see you... um... really improved your designs," Caishen awkwardly commented. He hesitantly picked up one of the cups and took a sip.

"Thank you," Dominator smiled. "Years of trial and error went into these things. But it was worth it." She took a sip from her cup, savoring the bitter taste. "What's new with you all? And who's your friend?" She gestured to the lady sitting to the right.

"This is my sister, Narcisa," Loreta answered. "We share a bond."

"Nice to meet you," Dominator nodded to Narcisa.

"My sister spoke highly of you when she was on Sigmorta-5," Narcisa commented. She kept a straight face, not bothering to nod or smile back. "Though I never imagined you to be the ambitious type."

"No?" Dominator giggled. "Loreta, have you been selling me short?"

"Oh, of course not," Loreta nervously laughed. "I've always been impressed by your passion. I just never thought you would... um..." Loreta's eyes dropped as she fell silent.