Chapter 2

[TW: mention of suicide]

Chapter 2:

--*Emma's POV*--

Norman stood calmly, "What happened, Emma?"

I was still really worried, but explained to him that I just heard him sniffling in the bathroom.

--<Norman's POV>--

Oh, I thought. Then maybe he just had a runny nose or something?
Emma lead me quietly to the bathroom, standing back. I pressed my ear to the door, listening.
My heart almost broke for my friend. I could hear his sobs, but I could barely hear him, so, so quietly, talking to himself, saying horrible things. He said I must hate him, that he'd lose me, that he'd lose Emma. Then he just kept insulting himself.
Why? Why was he saying this? I felt a pang of guilt. I did feel anger towards him earlier, but no, I could never hate him. Never. He'd never lose us! We'll all escape, and we'll all grow up together.
The worst thing he whispered was something that confirmed a suspicion I had..Ray was going to...I don't even want to think about it.

I whispered uneasily, "Maybe you should go to bed, Emma.."

She slowly nodded, then turned and left. I waited for her to leave then started picking the lock as quickly and quietly as I could.

--*Emma's POV*--

I lead Norman to the bathroom, standing back to give him room. He quietly put his ear to the bathroom door, and listened. I waited.
I watched Norman's face turn from confused, to sad, to guilty, to sad again. I wanted to give both my friends a huge hug, but Norman was smarter than me. He knew what to do. So I stood back. He turned back to look at me, and whispered.

"Maybe you should go to bed, Emma.."

His voice trailed off. I took the hint, nodded and walked away.
I didn't want to leave, but I did anyway.

--[Ray's POV]--

Emma left to get Norman. She didn't even wait for me to respond. That's annoying.
Why would Norman even care? He has to hate me now. I betrayed him. I've been betraying him for six years.
I've been planning escape for six years, ever since I found out this place was a farm. I've been planning this escape for them. I never even planned on escaping. I can't believe I actually almost said that earlier.

(flashback)

I pointed my finger accusingly at Norman. I was so fed up with this.. everything.

"...to make sure YOU BOTH don't get killed!"

(end flashback)

Hopefully, Norman didn't understand what I meant.
Ugh! I'm so stupid! How could I almost reveal my intentions like that? Norman and Emma would undoubtedly try to stop me.
Or not. Norman probably hates me. Emma will find out at some point and she'll hate me too. It's better that the escape is in ten days. My life will be over sooner. Norman and Emma will be safe. With their combined strengths, I know they can do anything. Unlike me. I can't do anything. The only reason my test scores are so high is because I need them to be. If I didn't know this place was a farm, I'd probably be so stupid I'd be shipped out when I was six.
Norman and Emma aren't even my friends. They're only friends with me because of who I act like. They don't actually know who I am. I don't even know who I am.
I've spent too long pretending to be all calm and cool-headed like Norman. Too long trying to be the best so I don't get shipped out.

Tears rushed down my cheeks. I couldn't even stop them. I didn't even try. Why should I? The door's locked so no one can get in and see me. Even if Norman picked the lock, which he apparently can do, it wouldn't matter if anyone saw me. They all hate me anyways.
I buried my head in my knees.