Chapter 47

If you woke up tomorrow

Completely healed,

Who would you be?

"Take care of yourself," Islam called out from beside the door as Usman got into the car.

"Thank you," Usman replied, taking his briefcase from her. He was dressed in a sharp suit for work.

She watched as his car pulled out of the driveway before heading back into the house. Usman had been worried about her current situation, which left him with no choice but to ask her to live with him in Tarkwa Bay Beach. It was a luxurious place with plenty of rooms, providing them the space they needed to avoid any haram relationships.

With heavy footsteps, she made her way to the meticulously arranged parlor, where the maid had taken care of everything. She sank into the comfortable couch, thinking about what she could prepare for Usman in the evening. She always made sure to cook delicious meals for him since he was often exhausted from work.

She then showered and changed into a cozy hazel gown with a scarf. Looking in the mirror, she noticed how much weight she had lost. Her eyes appeared deep-set and pale, giving her a delicate and pale look.

After that, she grabbed her hobo bag and headed to Eko Hospital for her checkups. She drove his tacky brown Peugeot to the hospital. It was cool that he lets her drive his cars, including the SUV too.

As she walked into the hospital, that familiar antiseptic smell greeted her, and she saw all those busy people in scrubs and uniforms.

Dr. Adesuwa Rosenheim, the haematologist, was her doctor in charge. She's a young woman, probably in her early thirties, with beautiful auburn hair that always glistens. It was cool that she looks biracial too!

She settled into the visitor's seat in Dr. Rosenheim's cozy office. The room had a large oak desk and shelves. It was neat and organized. There is also her stethoscope and lab coat hanging on the hanger beside her seat.

"Good morning Mrs Saleh", greeted Dr. Rosenheim who always addressed her as Mrs because she sometimes came with Usman which made them looked like couples.

"Morning", she acknowledged with a sweet smile while crossing her legs in anticipation. She has already done a biopsy test for the disease she was suffering from. She drew a needle from her back and took her blood sample from her bone marrow.

Her heart began to palpitate while she waited for the results. Dr. Rosenheim adjusted her round glasses while opening the envelope and operating the desktop on her desk. "Umm after the biopsy you're diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukemia stage two, it recurred after these years. I'm sorry", she said calmly while she felt numbed.

"You know leukemia deals with blood cells and the bone marrow, bone pain occurs when the bone marrow expands from the accumulation of abnormal white blood cells and may occur as a sharp pain or a dull pain, depending on the location. The long bones of the legs and arms are the most common location to feel this pain.

"When will the treatment begin?" asked Islam, her fingers trembling with cold. Being diagnosed with cancer brought back memories of those ill-fated sixteen years.

"As soon as possible. Just stay strong and be ready," she replied energetically. "And you should visit more often. I'll introduce you to some of my colleagues who are oncologists."