Surrogate Mother 1

Scene One: The camera pans to Joan and Aaron's bedroom. Joan is sitting up in bed. Her iPhone sits on her nightstand and the camera pans to the iPhone time stamp, it indicates that it is 3:30 am. Joan is seen getting up out of the bed and tiptoeing out of the bedroom. Before Joan makes it to the door of her bedroom, Aaron stirs and wakes up.  

Aaron: (before Joan makes it out of the room) Babe, you OK?

Joan: (reaching for the doorknob and turning around) Yeah. Just have a slightly upset stomach. Going to go grab some tea. I'm sorry, I did not mean to wake you up. 

Aaron: (sitting up) I felt you stirring around. Can I join you for tea?

Joan: (sullenly) Oh, babe. I don't want to cut into your sleep.

Aaron: (getting out of bed and grabbing his bathrobe on the bedroom chair) I'd love to join you.

Joan: (sweetly) I'd love that. 

Aaron joins Joan by the door and the camera pans them walking out of the bedroom and down the hall.

 The camera then pans to them walking into the kitchen. Joan grabs two tea cups, hands one to Aaron, then walks to her water dispenser and helps herself to some hot water. Aaron proceeds to do the same thing. Joan is then seen walking to the cabinet grabbing two tea bags, and a small honey jar server. Aaron goes to the fridge and brings out some sliced lemons. The camera pans to Aaron and Joan sitting down at the breakfast nook and they both begin to fix themselves some tea.

Aaron: (opening his teabag and adding honey) So are you going to tell me what's wrong?

Joan: (fixing her tea) Baby, there is nothing up... Why do you think...

Aaron: (interrupting Joan) Come on, babe. We are not gonna play this game. We have been married for too long... and it's 3:30 am. Talk to me, woman.

Joan: (sips her tea and sits back in the nook booth) Lynn fears her adoption application will fall through due to a past misdemeanor...

Aaron: (slight laugh) Why does that not surprise me? (pause - looks at Joan's serious reaction) Ok, but how does that affect you? 

Joan: (not following Aaron's questioning) What do you mean by that? 

Aaron: (smiles) Baby, you only lose sleep when the problem involves you somehow. I know you...

Joan: (sipping her tea) You ain't wrong...

Aaron: (sits back) So let's hear it.

Joan: (speaking quickly) Lynn asked if I would be her surrogate.

Aaron: (sipping tea and stops suddenly) Say what now?

Joan: She asked if I would carry a baby for her. (sips tea)

Aaron: (a bit shocked and bothered) And you said?

Joan: (shrugs) I told her I couldn't do it.

Aaron: Why would she ask YOU of all people to do that for her?

Joan: What do you mean by "me of all people?" 

Aaron: Baby, you are a 50-year-old woman. So again, I ask you, why you?

Joan: (a bit bothered) Because I'm healthy and I'm in good shape. (as a matter of fact) I can still carry a baby, Aaron. (folds her arms annoyed)

Aaron: (folds his arms) Yeah, but NOT someone else's baby. No, ma'am. (sips tea) 

Joan: (sips tea - slight pause) You are right...  (looks off in deep contemplation)

Aaron: (unfolding arms) Wait! Were you giving this real consideration?

Joan: (getting up and walking to the cabinet - takes out popcorn) Well, not really. I just hate not being able to help.

The camera pans to Joan rummaging around with the popcorn in the box in slight frustration. Aaron senses the frustration and he gets up to get Joan's undivided attention. 

Aaron: (stands up and turns Joan around to face him) Baby, stop for min. Were you giving this real consideration?

Joan: (shrugs and turns in deep contemplation) I thought about it for a second...

Aaron: (faces her again - disagreeing) Baby, no. There is nothing to think about. (turns and sits back down to sip his tea)

Joan: (not wanting an argument and avoiding confrontation) Ok... (shrugs) 

Joan puts the popcorn back in the packaged box. She puts the box back into the cabinet with a slight attitude. 

Aaron: (noticing Joan's attitude) Joan?

Joan: (turns to exit) I'm going to go back to bed. Let's just talk in the morning, OK?  Goodnight, babe.

The camera pans to Joan exiting the kitchen and heading toward the bedroom. Aaron sits in the kitchen nook sipping his tea in deep contemplation. 

End Scene