Chapter 14: Karma's Fault

~Christa's POV~

I feel my heart growing heavy in my chest. It's rather painful, really. Not to mention it's depressing. I'm not depressed, just upset that I completely ruined my life in the entirety of a month. I had... I really didn't want to think about it at the moment. I look at the small paper in my hand. It had their number... Should I? Could I? I didn't think I could do it... But then again... I shake my head and decide that it's finally time to call them.

I had ruined it by leaving him. If I had just stayed there, then I wouldn't have gotten upset, gotten drunk and gotten pregnant. I couldn't do anything about it now, though. It was too late, I was too stupid.

~Flashback~~~

"Hey! If it isn't little Christa Toro! How you been, girl?" Micheal Pedicone. His beer splashes a bit on my jeans and I sigh. They weren't new, but they were one of my favorite pairs. I had also had enough of Pedicone to last a lifetime. Scooting back some on the bar stool, he gets the hint that he should either back the hell up or set down the drink. He does both, taking the seat next to mine.

"What do you want, Pedicone?" I was a little drunk, but not as far gone as he was. He was absolutely wasted and going to have a major hangover tomorrow. Good for him. At that moment, I really didn't care. I was here for a drink or two to get my mind off of all that had happened in the past week or so before I went absolutely fucking nuts.

"I can't catch up with the wife of an old friend?" As most people do, he lets his eyes wander to my left ring finger, which is now bare of the wedding rind I'd been wearing for a while now.

"No, you can't catch up with the ex-wife of an old friend." I hiss, grabbing my purse, throwing down some money and storming away. Naturally I couldn't get a break from people Ray had worked with, even if they had kicked him completely out of their lives. When I get out on the street to hail down a taxi, someone's hand is on my elbow. Knowing exactly who it is, I jerk it back, out of his grip. Really, I blamed Karma for all that was happening. I had been a jerk and stormed out on my-now ex-husband when I didn't even know the full story. He could have been upset, or he could have been perfectly happy, but since I didn't give him a chance to explain himself, one of his old drummers was bothering me far too much for my liking.

"Come on, Christa, I didn't know!" He says. I roll my eyes and scoot back away, smiling when a taxi cab finally pulls up. He tries to grab me again, but I smack him and get in, closing the door. Saying the address quickly after asking him to lock the doors, I'm out of there and gone.

Two days later, however, and I find myself in a corner of the same bar, with the Pedicone, making out. I know that that's an awkward thing to say, especially at my age of 30, but it was all that I could use to describe it, really.

As you can imagine, one thing led to another and he woke up alone after I woke up in his apartment. I had gotten dressed, fixed my hair and makeup and walked out. I thought I'd heard him say something when I shut the door, but I wouldn't know what it was for a while.

~Present Tiiime \(O~O)z~

Chewing on my lip, I look down at the number, dial it in and take a deep breath. They pick up on the second ring. Her voice is so relieving to hear, I almost cry out of happiness. When she asks why I took so long to call, I tell her I read the paper she left, I wanted to say yes, but my voice wouldn't let me. I ended up having to say, "I'm nodding, Alicia." to which she responded with a victorious yell and then asked what was bothering me. I suppose I didn't sound myself. I probably sounded dead, monotonous and distraught.

As I recount the events told above, I can feel her end of the line grow silent. I apologize so many times before actually telling her I was pregnant. When she heard that part, she laughed a little.

"It's fine. We all fuck up, remember?" I do remember. She cheated on Mikey behind his back for a few straight months. She and the guys had a falling out, though, a few months ago, so she was all by her lonesome in New York now. I think for a moment or two.

"Come to LA." She's silent for a moment before consenting.