- c h a p t e r - e l e v e n -

Gemma had been falling asleep in the common room when Fred suddenly asked, "What happened to your hand?"

She flinched upwards as if she had not been asleep at all and started to pack up her things, recalling Hermione saying something about the library, "What do you mean?"

"I mean, why does the back of your hand say, I must not tell lies?" Fred repeated, crossing his arms.

She glanced at him, trying to ignore how handsome he looked with his messy ginger hair, khaki pants, and jumper, and shook her head, "I don't—"

He pulled her hand from her bag, making her stumble closer to him, and his calloused fingers gently traced the letters.

Letters written in her own handwriting but scarred across her skin.

"Where did this come from?" Fred questioned, his voice quiet.

Gemma swallowed thickly and knew she was cornered.

She couldn't lie to him now.

"Umbridge," She said in a low tone, watching the portraits and students around them. "She had these quills...you write with them, and they did this...And I mean, I've been in detention basically since I got here..."

"Have you told your..." He looked almost amused despite the heaviness of this confession. "Dad?"

Gemma shook her head.

"Sirius?"

"No. And I'm not going to anytime soon."

His brows furrowed, "Why?"

"Because I need to be here."

Fred did not release her hand as he asked, "Have you told anyone?"

"Hermione and Ro—"

"Of higher power?"

She bit her lip, "I can't."

The two stared at each other, a silent battle between them before Fred said, "She's going to pay for this...you know that, right?"

Gemma gave him a slight smirk, "She will. And I will be leading the charge."

Fred tilted his head at her, "You plan it, and I'll help execute it." She chuckled a little as his fingers danced over the words again, "You know...you have pretty handwriting at least..."

Gemma rolled her eyes, guffawing, "That makes me feel sooooo much better."

Fred gave her an exasperated face, "I'm doing my best here, Cricket."

"Try harder. Go blow up her office."

"Oh don't tempt me..."

They laughed before Gemma pulled her hand away and finished packing her bag.

She shouldered it before turning back to Fred and saying warmly, "Thanks for sticking up for me, by the way..."

Fred shoved his hands into his pants pockets and nodded, "Of course, Gem. Anything that needs to be done shall be done."

Her cheeks warmed a little before she punched his shoulder playfully, "Same for you, Frederick." She sidestepped him and called, "See you later."

As she walked away, she heard George say, "Man, Fred, you are whipped."

"Shut the hell up, George."

"Just stating the truth, my dear brother."

"I'm gonna kill you."