Five: Keshava

Looking into the waters, the reflection showed the image of the most beautiful form she had seen. The lotus petal-like eyes. The silky hair. The parijata flower garland. It wasn't a surprise that the parijata did not die out. His dark skin might have made them think it was night. His face was like the moon.

Her eyes stuck to the image. Beautiful and blissful.

"Shyam..." She muttered softly. There wasn't much she could tell others. They wouldn't know. After all, who can say that Vasudeva could become your husband?

Her father would laugh it off as silliness. It was a childish thought. "He is Jagat Pati, Sri. Not just you. We all with this body are Prakriti. He is the husband of Prakriti. He is patient with all of us." He said when she tried to hint that she wished for Narayana himself.

"What's the use of accusing others when you pretend to not understand yourself." She complained to the river which looked like Narayana.

"Bhargavi. Your mother is waiting for you. The guests have arrived." Her friends told her.

Maharishi Bhrigu, her father, had organized a Yagya. The King was very supportive and offered all the required things.

Bhargavi quickly got the water and rushed to the ashram.

"What took you so long? You aren't even ready for the Yagya. You should know better, Bhargavi." Her mother, Khyati, scolded her.

She rushed towards her room. Changing into her clothes. Her mothers, Khyati and Puloma, sat next to her father. She took her seat behind her father.

The affluence of Maharishi Bhrigu was such that with every mantra that he invoked the deity, they appeared from the fire and took seats placed for them.

Ganesha, Agni, Vayu, Varuna, Indra, and all the others were invited in line. She welcomed all the devas and offered them all refreshments.

Her father invoked Shiva and the Lord of the Mountains appeared at the Yagya. With him, Gauri appeared. With a great smile, happily, Sri welcomed them and offered them respect.

Finally, Maharishi Bhrigu invoked Narayana. The very sight of him muted every sound around her. All she saw was the four-armed Vishnu. His bright yellow and blue clothing. His dark skin seemed like the desirous shadow in the peak afternoon summer sun.

She welcomed him. The long-haired one didn't give her the same attention that she gave him. Vishnu saw Shiva first and gave him a bright smile. Then saw his sister. "It is wonderful to see you, Bhagini." He kissed her head like a loving brother. She chuckled.

The great Goddess, the wife of illustrious Shiva, rejoiced like any other sister when he affectionately kissed her head. She was the source of vatsalya itself but to receive it from her brother was sweeter.

Bhargavi stayed silent. It felt like everything would fall apart for her. Yet, she remained silent.

Gauri watched the daughter of Bhrigu. Who else would know her but Gauri? She looked at her brother who was focused on the Yagya.

After the Yagya was complete, the devas were requested to have some food. Devas and Rishis sat together. Starting with Ganesha, Sri began to serve the food on banana leaves.

She smiled at each of them as she served the food. She finished serving the devas. After them in the line, Devi Parvati sat on the left of Shiva. She served her and Shiva.

Next to Shiva was Keshava. Sri watched his fingers as he cleaned his banana leaf. Starting with the pickle, she started serving food. He didn't even look up at her. His pointing finger and little finger had rings.