♡Ch 6♡

I continued the little request of stepping outside every morning. I'd make him and I coffee, and we'd sit on the porch outside. Unfortunately, he picked up the habit of opening the door as I walked up with our cups, so I never got to see the first two numbers.

It was nice, though, to be able to escape those walls, even if it was just to the edge of the front porch. I never noticed the privilege of breathing fresh air.

As the week came to it's end, I gathered the courage to ask, "Can you take the padlock off?"

He froze midway through his sip of coffee. "Amour, I took off the tracking device, I let you wear that old hoodie of yours, I got you a kitten, I've taken you outside. Be happy how you are."

I was happy before I met you. There was no way I'd get that padlock off, even if I played along. The best course of action from then on was to just guess. There were only ninety-nine possible numbers that could be it, better than hundreds or thousands of possibilities. I was holding onto those last two numbers I knew.

I had serious thinking to do. What was the best way to escape? I could sit here and spend an hour or two trying to figure out the passcode, or I can wait for Levi to leave for work and breakout through a window. Both had its flaws.

If I attempt the passcode, it might set off an alarm if I input it wrong. It could send Levi a notification saying that the passcode was wrongly attempted.

If I try to escape through a window, it would have to be when Levi is gone, but who knows how far the closest town would be? I couldn't follow the road, Levi might drive down it and see me. I'd have to pick a direction and go.

Regardless of which I pick, it's not just me that needs to escape. Levi only got that little kitten for me. He could hurt it or threaten its life to get me to come back. Every plan I thought of had it's big risks that I wasn't too confident to take.

The panic came back. I started considering the option of murdering him. Still, murder was something I wasn't sure I could go through with. And could I actually murder a person?

The padlock was my first choice, but I had to test my theory. As we walked inside, I pretended to trip and land on the number pad. A bunch of numbers were entered and the padlock flashed red and buzzed.

"Oops!" I gasped. "Did I trigger anything? I'm sorry."

I swear, by the end of it, I could've been a world class actor. He checked to make sure I was alright.

"No, it's okay. It just flashes red." He assured.

I never felt so much joy in my life. I had a chance! Despite being uncomfortable, I slept well through the weekend. Come Monday, I was prepared to spend as much time as I needed getting that passcode.

I watched eagerly as Levi's car drove off down the trail. Once he was gone, I immediately began working on numbers. It ended with 73, I just need two more. I started with 01 and worked down the line.

02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07.

Red flashed and buzzed each time. I felt my adrenaline picking up a bit. I kept going and going, red flash after red flash.

40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45.

Come on, come on, come on! Please!

75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80.

I've gotta get out!

95, 96, 97, 98 . . .

Please.

99.

Red flash.

I didn't believe it. I was sure that the last two numbers were 73. I saw it! Maybe I skipped a number or my finger slipped on one of them without me noticing. I ran through the numbers all the way to 99 again, being extra careful this time.

I felt my eyes sting as tears blurred my vision. My knees hit the floor as I sunk into hopelessness. I hadn't forgotten about my other option, but depression was settling into me from feeling trapped.

I slammed my fist on the door and cursed as loud as I could. My sobs echoed around the cabin. The four walls around me seemed smaller than when I first walked in, every night brought them in by an inch. I couldn't breath.

The kitten rubbed my leg and meowed. She tried to calm me down. I sat with her for a little while, trying to motivate myself to keep trying. I felt too heavy to pull myself up.

Eventually, I convinced myself to stand. If I had quit, Levi would've won. I couldn't give in so easily.

I retrieved my pillowcase with food. I filled up the large water bottle and threw it in. I looked at end of the first floor windows. They seemed thick, but with some effort, I could break them. I threw on my older clothes, stashing the little kitten in my hoodie pouch.

I set eyes on the window in the sitting area. I grabbed a kitchen chair, and with as much force as I could, I slammed it down on the glass. It made a small crack. I tried again and again, but I only made small scratches. I tried a new approach.

I took the living room table and propped it up on its side. It was made of wood, so it was hefty. I scooted it close to the window and dropped it. It hurled down and smashed a sizable hole, scattering glass shards on the grass outside. The sudden crash made the kitten panic a bit, but she stayed tucked in my hoodie pouch.

I pulled the table back, minding the glass. After tossing the large peice of furniture back, I scanned around for a smaller item. The fire poker propped against the brick fireplace was my tool of choice.

Since the glass had been weakened, it was easy to bust out the rest of the window. I used a blanket over the sill to protect myself as I hopped through.

My shoes crunched on the shards, and the chilly air made me shiver. I stepped back and looked around with wide eyes. I'm out!

Without second though, I got a careful grip of the kitten, fire poker, and pillowcase and took off for the woods. My limbs vibrated with pure euphoria, and the biggest smile plastered on my features. I stayed a distance away from the road but kept it in sight.

I was barreling towards freedom.

|♡|♡|♡|

Follow, Vote, and Comment!

Toodles~