A Little Heartbeat

This was such a drag. A written exam.

Shikamaru could do it, and yeah, he'd pass. Ino would use the mind transfer jutsu and she and Choji would pass too. But did he really want to? Nah, but he didn't want to be an asshole to his team. That wasn't fair.

Nope. Guess he had to suck it up and just pass.

Urgh, such a drag though.

.::.

Asuma stretched out against the couch, bringing out a cigarette just as Kakashi sat down. Kurenai snatched it off Asuma and tossed it aside with a sharp glare. Kakashi laughed sheepishly, even as Asuma stared mournfully at his loss. Kakashi did send a thankful look to Kurenai though, who looked awfully pleased with herself. They had all decided to gather at the jonin lounge to sit back and relax for a bit. Guy hadn't bothered to come, too busy training, but Kakashi appreciated the quiet.

"Sorry, Asuma," Kakashi offered, for his loss.

"Nah, I'm sorry, should know better." Asuma winced, discarding his cigarette. "How you been doing?"

"Fighting nausea, fatigue and mood swings. And today I couldn't put on my regular trousers so had to switch to a larger pair, but getting there," Kakashi sighed, relaxing into the seat. "Have to admit, it's awfully quiet without the pups around. Maybe even peaceful."

Kurenai laughed.

Asuma chuckled. "Well don't get too comfy. Chances are they will be back again sooner than you think."

"Why is that?" Kurenai frowned.

"Ibiki is the examiner this time." Asuma grinned. "Shikamaru's probably complaining like crazy with all the extra work he has to put in."

"Great," Kakashi groaned. "They got stuck with that sadist right off the bat? Poor pups."

Kurenai blinked. "What sadist?"

"I sometimes forget how new you are to the jonin scene," Asuma teased, nudging his mate's arm. "Ibiki is a specialist in torture and interrogation."

Kunari's gaze sharpened into a glare. "Excuse me?"

"He won't use physical torture. He never does, not really his thing," Asuma added quickly. "The kids are safe enough!"

"No, he just messes with your head instead." Kakashi shivered. "Him and Anko are mates and every time they got together it used to freak me out."

Back in the ANBU days before Team Ro he had worked with them once. After spending a week with them he begged Lord Third to never put him with those two again.

They had rough, loud sex almost every night.

It was terrifying the sounds that came out of their tent, and then they actually asked him if he wanted to join in. He quickly noped out of there.

"He's a master of interrogation, all because he understands how the human mind works. He literally messes up your head so bad that you torture yourself," Asuma said.

"I don't think he even needs that." Kakashi grimaced. "Just let him and Anko spend a night together..."

Asuma raised a brow. "You always retreat whenever those two hang out together. They seem to be perfect mates."

"Yep. Too perfect." Kakashi shivered. "Way too perfect."

"Is that even a thing?" Kurenai laughed, but there was a hint of nervousness to it.

"When you work on a mission for them, then yes. It's a thing."

"Well you'll be horrified to know that Anko is the second examiner," Asuma laughed.