-Chapter 13 | Caught

••𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 13 | 𝑪𝒂𝒖𝒈𝒉𝒕••

Wednesday carefully cleaned the corners of Eugene's mouth with her poor excuse of a hat as Athen tried her best to comfort the boy with some of her best spine-chilling stories about Greek myths. The raven head quietly shook her head with a small thin lined smile tugging on her lips. Inside that tough exterior Athen was a complete dork. Eugene scrunched up his face at the girl in front of him before craning his neck up at the demigod ruffling up his hair. He sighed. "Nobody's ever stood up for me before. Let alone two girls" he whispered, hanging his head towards the ground almost shamefully.

Athen released a heavy breath of air before slowly breaking into a devious grin. "You said it before little man. Hummers stick together" she yapped, repeatedly patting the boy's head as he tried his best to hide his embarrassment. "I know this might come as a shock, but I don't really have any friends" Eugene murmured, sadly sparing a glance at Wednesday blinking blankly before creasing her brows in conflict. She swallowed her words before forming the best sentence she could come up with without showing any emotions. "You remind me of my brother, sans the desire to strangle him every waking moment" she muttered, scrunching up her nose.

The demigod and young beekeeper shared a smile before returning their eyes back to the raven head throwing away her dirty hat. Wednesday glanced between the two with her as her eyes tightened into a glare. "Don't get any ideas" she spat, grabbing ahold of Athen's warm hand. The brunette's touch was almost enough to melt the walls secured around her cold heart down.

"Now follow me" she demanded, shooting her icy stare toward the building that was labeled off-limits by the pilgrim mistress earlier. "I need to know more about this Crackstone. We have a meeting house to break into" she dulled, molding her lips into a smirk.

Eugene followed after the pair like a couple and their lost child following close behind. Athen scouted the area with a playful scowl on her face. On the outside, she was as cool as she could be but on the inside, that was a whole completely different story on its own. The brunette's stomach was busy doing flips while her heart was frantically hammering against her chest.

Her face was heating up, completely engulfing her ears in the red fiery wave of nerves as they flooded her entire system like her body was doing its best to give her away without any remorse. Athen got lost in her panic and accidentally bumped into Wednesday before letting out a string of apologies with a flustered look.

Wednesday slowly raised her brows, studying the demigod's face with her eyes slowly moving her gaze along every inch of Athen's upper half before shaking the thoughts out of her head. "Give me your retainer" she extended her hand in Eugene's direction, watching the boy scrunch up his face in protest.