Episode 2. Start of a new

I didn't even notice how I fell asleep. Outside the window, the sun was beginning to set. The strange feeling never left me. These people had saved me, but could I trust them? What price would they pay for saving me?

My head did not hurt anymore, but there were strange mixed feelings inside. I got out of bed and walked over to the mirror. My leg ached with a nagging pain, but I couldn't care less. My hair was disheveled, my face pale, my pupils dilated, and there were bruises and scratches all over my body. I turned halfway around to look at my tattoo again. The scorched wings of an angel only complemented my tortured back. The meaning of the tattoo has a deep meaning for me. It is a sign of great fallenness, vanity. It is an attribute of fallen angels. I felt an extreme degree of indignation turning to rage. Why is this happening to my family? Why is this happening to me? Why are these people helping me? How could I possibly know that guy? Lots of questions and pesky 'why' that, for now, will go unanswered. Gabby, calm down! You need to think straight and be calm. I promised myself I'd be strong. I've been through so much and it doesn't have to be in vain.

- Gabby, how's your leg? - A very young girl came into the room and sat me down on the bed. - My name is Beth Green, I've brought you a change of clothes, you can go to the bathroom," and indeed, she was holding wide jeans and a plain T-shirt.

- Thank you. But can you tell me why you're helping me? - I spoke as calmly as possible, my gaze fixed on the blonde, which made her seem uncomfortable.

- Ask Rick. They rescued you and brought you here.

Hurrying and thinking of everything, I walked into the bathroom. It had been so long since I'd had a really good shower... The jets of hot water burned my skin. I wanted to stretch those moments for as long as possible. Fresh wounds were stinging a little. Not only the dirt on the outside was washing off me, but also some of the anxiety of my soul. Is it possible to escape from all problems in this way? The answer is obvious. If it were possible, I would probably stand under the hot streams of water for days on end, washing away all the heartache and dirt. I can handle it. Wet strands of my dark hair fell to my shoulders. I got out of the tub and changed, tying my still damp hair in a ponytail. My jeans were old, but in good condition and almost the right size. I looked out the window again - there was no one outside. So everyone was either in the house or on the other side of the yard.

I left the room, walked down the corridor. I had no weapons, so I would defend myself solely with my body. Old planks creaked beneath my feet, and an old lamp burned at the end of the corridor. Dusty paintings adorned the high walls. I stepped out into the living room, where there were many people. Everyone was silent at once. I must have interrupted a heated discussion about something unknown, or at least unknown to me.

- Gabby, how are you? - Hershel asked first.

- I'm fine, thank you for your help," I answered sharply and quickly. I glanced around and realized that everyone seemed to be here.

- Gabby, we have to talk, can we go outside? - Rick turned to me, looking puzzled. I didn't say anything back, and walked out onto the porch in silence under the stares of the group.

A cool breeze blew in my face, smelling of freshness. The pleasant silence was broken only by the sounds of fireflies and other insects. Rick was silent for a long time.

- I'm sure you're a strong man to be here. - he paused and looked into my eyes, as if he wanted to see something there. - I'd like to see you in our group. There are several families here that I have to protect. Their lives are in my hands.

- I don't care about that. Or is this payment for your help? - I knew something had to be done.

- Consider it done.

- I don't have anywhere to go. I can stay here for a while. - I don't know if that's the right decision or not, but it can't get any worse.

- We'll give you your own tent.

- I'll ask you to put it far away from everyone else. I don't like noise. - I have no reason to trust them.

- Unless your tent is in plain sight of Daryl. He'll keep an eye on you.

Rick gave me a single tent, and he went looking for this Daryl. I walked over to the tent of my new roommate, who I was not at all happy about, even though he'd saved my life. I'm sure our feelings are mutual. Next to his tent, in a tree, hung dead squirrels and severed walker ears. I won't even ask why he wanted them. I set up the tent quickly and was already lying down, resting inside. The tent smelled of old age and dust, but it was so cosy to think about. I don't know these people, I should always be on my guard.

There was a crunching of branches next to the tent. Someone had stepped on them and they were breaking under someone else's weight with a distinctive crunch. Whoever it was, it was worth getting ready. I crawled out of my temporary home now.

- Tomorrow at dawn, Rick and Shane want to assess your abilities. - That was Daryl. Judging by the smell of fresh blood, he was on the hunt.

- Thanks for the warning.

Everything went dark, but I was able to meet his gaze. His eyes, like two mists staring into my soul. The uncertainty is so beckoning. He just turned and walked away to his room, in fact I did the same.

Before going to bed, I changed the bandage on my thigh and disinfected the wound with alcohol once more. I drifted back into my deep thoughts. Thoughts flickered in and out of my head, as if I were dancing at a society ball.

***

Night has fallen into the pre-dawn twilight. There was a sleepy silence all around, and the morning chill helped cheer me up. Everyone is still asleep, but I need to get ready. Apart from the clothes Beth gave me, I have nothing else. The relief of my arms and the pattern of wings on my back are perfectly visible through my tank top. Years of martial arts training have come in handy like never before. I never thought my skills would determine my life, the lives of others. I am strong in close combat, I am sure I can impress them. The sun had already begun to rise, the silhouettes of people could be seen in the distance.

Life is so complicated, but we are here to contribute to the world. Otherwise, what were we given life for? Wasn't it?