━━ TWENTY-TWO

[ act iii - the healed heart ]
CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO
( a welcome to a friend )

     THE SOUNDS OF HORNS COULD BE HEARD AS SHIPS approached the docks of Vingulmark

     THE SOUNDS OF HORNS COULD BE HEARD AS SHIPS approached the docks of Vingulmark. Althea's stomach had finally dropped and she was due any time now. She stood from her throne as a servant brought her her cloak, the cloak that once belonged to her beloved. Althea refused it but thanked the girl, it was a nice day out and Althea wanted to enjoy it.

Torsten followed closely behind her. Surprisingly, Althea appreciated his company. He came with many interesting stories and they had grown close. Even if Althea never thanked Porrun in person she was glad to have such a good man protecting her. She was thankful she finally had another person she could rely on, true friends were hard to come by.

The doors of the great hall opened when Althea approached. Torsten offered his hand to help her down the many steps as he knew it had become a great hassle. Althea took it and he placed his free hand on her arm as he walked with her down them. She wondered who decided to come here. It had been months since they returned and she knew that every single ship that left with her made it back safely.

They reached the bottom and Torsten removed his hands from her. Torsten fell into step next to Althea, his hand never straying far from the hilt of his sword. His eyes always peeled, looking for any threat that would come searching the Princess.

The people of the vast city had gathered but parted like the sea when Althea walked past. All bowed slightly as she continued to walk before she finally hit the dock. She stood at the bottom of the three stairs that led onto the docks. She was curious about who came.

She could see Maximus grab someone's arm before pulling them into a hug, he was smiling. Which meant it was not an enemy but a friend, knowing that the city was safe Althea then turned back around and began to walk away.

If it had been an enemy she would stay to give her people enough time to escape. Her steps were small as she waddled along, her blue dress dragging behind her. Torsten led the way back until a familiar voice stopped Althea in her tracks, causing Torsten to stop as well.

"Princess." The man spoke. She could hear the smile in his voice before she could even turn around.

And when she did her eyes fell on an old friend, "Ubbe..." Althea smiled widely as she made her way back to him quickly. His arms were held open when she was close enough and she crashed into him. His arms wrapped around her waist and hers snaked around his neck as he held her tight, picking her up slightly.

Althea breathed in deeply taking in his scent, she had missed her friend and wondered if he would ever show. Her eyes closed and they stayed that way for a long moment before Ubbe set her back down, pulling apart, his hands coming up to her face.

"Look at you, Althea." He spoke as his eyes looked her up and down. "By the gods, you're still as beautiful as ever," He smiled softly at her. "And you're still with child?"